We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

Boston
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

I've checked the "What to do in Rotorua" section and there are about 15 "must see" 4.5-5 star review with hundreds of reviews each for the area. If you had just 24 hours in town, what would you do? Should I push my entire itinerary one day so I'll have two nights in the area?

Thanks

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

Do you want to do zip lining through the tree canopy, white water rafting or just see waterfalls and redwood forests or see bubbling mud and steam for free or in a theme park?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,114 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

2 days will provide you with a better opportunity to enjoy Rotorua. As you are aware from your research there is a wealth of things to see and do, including thermal sites and volcanic activity, lakes and streams, exotic and native bush, culture and arts, history, and man-made attractions.

If you can let us know what your interests are, we can recommend suitable places and attractions. Also consider attending a Maori evening performance including a hangi-feast and concert.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,289 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

Absolute musts would have to be one thermal park & a Maori cultural show. After that it is over to your interests - luge, Agrodome, Rainbow Springs etc.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

Without knowing your fitness level and likes & dislikes, it is difficult to make recommendations but the Rotorua Museum is always a good way to gain perspective on Rotorua. The medicinal spas; the legends of the area; the Tarawera eruption; Maori and European history; art and entertainment are all included within the recently extended building. Apart from that there are scenic walks, rafting, kayaking, adrenalin adventures as well as Maori cultural shows and thermal valleys to see so it really depends on your priorities. 24 hours is not long enough to experience the area fully.

Boston
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

Great, thank you. I booked for the Tamaki Maori Village for the evening, then we have the whole next day free.

I'm thinking we should be at Wai-o-tapu at 10:00 AM and probably leave at 13:00, if we'll leave to Turangi at 6-7 PM it gives us another 5-6 hours. Is that the "best" thermal park? How does Te Puia compare?

THANK YOU!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

Get to Wai-o-tapu before 10am. The Lady Knox geyser erupts at 10:15. It's a short drive from Wai-o-tapu, where you need to buy your ticket (the entrance ticket into Wai-o-tapu covers the geyser).

7. Re: Rotorua - is one day enough? Must sees in the area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18