We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

Boston
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

I'll be traveling in NZ with my dad who is 65. Unfortunately he's not in a very good shape (smoking...)

I'd like to take him on a two or three day trek, one which is not too challenging physically, so we could still have that experience together, along with doing a night or two in nature.

Are there companies that organize guided treks (to help with the route, tent building, etc) for 2-3 days someplace beautiful in the southern island? Is there any specific trek that you would recommend? Or do you think we could just do it ourselves and simply pick an easy 2-3 trek and go at our own pace?

Thank you!

Thanks

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

So many choices. I suggest Queen Charlotte track. Id suggest you boat into resolution bay (its a hilly walk from ship cove to resolution so avoid that). The resolution cabins are rustic and great if you want to stay overnight. I then suggest walk to endeavour inlet and stay in a b and b, or furneaux lodge at north end of endeavour inlet. the next day walk to punga cove and stay at the lodge there. then get picked up and taken back to picton. your packs can even be transferred each day.

my other suggestion is Able tasman national park. the coastal route is relatively flat and the DOC huts good to stay in, but must be booked.

Guided would not be necessary on these walks.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

A popular walk is Cass Lagoon track/ a comfortable two day walk. the hut is at the midway point. gret dropped off at Cass and picked up at cora Lynne. some people drop their equipment at Cass, then take their car to Cora Lynne and then teturn to Cass to begin the tramp. cass is on Highway 73, NZ smallest town with only one permanent resident (his name is Barry)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

I was also thinking of the Cass Saddle walk. You can leave your car at Cass & walk back to it along the road. The St James Walk also offers opportunities to walk in to Boyle hut & walk back to the car on the Lewis Pass Rd.

Mt Somers is another shortish walk in Mid-Canterbury. Go to the www.doc.govt.nz site and search on the map for the areas you plan to visit.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

So many choices! :)

Yes Queen Charlotte or Abel Tasman would be very suitable.

If you'd rather have alpine scenery to look at, doing a circuit of Lake Rotoiti (Nelson Lakes) would be a good option. Get a shuttle to drop you at the junction on the Mt Robert road as it's a boring walk to there from the village. Visit Whiskey Falls and then continue on the Lakeside Track to the Lakehead Hut. Next day walk out on the east side of the lake. This is a pretty walk through beech forest with lake and mountain views. Take insect repellent!

For dramatic alpine scenery, you could consider Aspiring NP. There are some good easier walks there if you stick to the valleys and avoid the passes. eg you could walk into Aspiring Hut from the Raspberry Creek car park, and use it as a base for a day walk to Pearl Flat.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

Cass-Lagoon Saddles might be a but much if your Dad is 65 and not in great shape. Day 1 (Cass road end to Hamilton Hut) is about 15kms, with a 750m ascent. It took us 7 hours (although we were carrying tents, and we did it on a day when the temperature reached 38 degrees celsius in Darfield). If you walk all the way out on Day 2 it is also about 15kms. The track is not as smooth and formed as Abel Tasman or Queen Charlotte.

Queen Charlotte or Abel Tasman or a loop around Lake Rotoiti as described above would all be great choices. QC has private accommodation, and the other two have DOC huts, so you wouldn't need to take a tent or worry about making a camp.

6. Re: Two day easy (guided?) trek? - Southern Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 05:16