We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland-waitomo-rotorua

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Auckland-waitomo-rotorua

I'm will arrive at auckland and planning to go to waitomo and do a sightseeing in rotorua.is it okay if i rent a car to go to these places although i'm not familiar with the places?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,187 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland-waitomo-rotorua

Hi zulizzati,

How long do you plan to spend in New Zealand? If you aren't sure of your driving confidence, suggest you arrive Auckland and rest-up/explore the city and environs to see how well you will cope with our road and traffic conditions. Yet if you are used to driving in KL traffic, our volume of traffic will be remarkably less with a straightforward motorway system in/out of Auckland. Beyond this city, the open road is easy to navigate.

There are plenty of vehicle rental companies in Auckland. Coach tours are another option including daily itineraries for tours visiting Waitomo Caves, and on to Rotorua in one day. Great Sights operate a number of tours around the country. Return journeys back to Auckland each day. The Bay of Islands can also be explored by coach tour or regular passenger bus services, same as Rotorua.

Intercity Coachlines is a good option to reach Rotorua, and its affordable and reliable. Do a shorter day-tour of the main sites once you reach Rotorua. There are also organised tours to evening Maori concerts and dinner-feasts in Rotorua. When is your visit taking place?

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland-waitomo-rotorua

I probably will be going on june next year..i have an issue if i take a coach tour since i'm a muslim so i need times to pray..i'm worry if the bus will leave me if i am late..i was thinking to take a taxi however i'm afraid i might be left too..i am confused right now

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland-waitomo-rotorua

Taxi would cost an absolute fortune for that type of journey.

Renting a car and doing self drive is definitely OK, as long as:

You don't try to drive a long distance straight after you arrive off your flight...stay at least 1 night in Auckland before you start your journey.

How many days do you plan to have for the Auckland-Waitomo-Rotorua circuit - 3 or 4 days would be an optimum amount of time, but definitely plan to do an overnight in both places, which will mean only 2 or 3 hours driving per day.

I believe that you drive on the left in Malaysia, same as in NZ, so no issues with that....

Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland-waitomo-rotorua

It is perfectly fine and safe to rent a car and drive from Auckland to Waitomo and anywhere in NZ. NZ drivers are very courteous.

5. Re: Auckland-waitomo-rotorua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2015, 05:16