We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 3 week travel itinerary

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 3 week travel itinerary

Planning a self-drive tour of NZ in Jan/Feb for three weeks. I have picked out some places of interest and put together a very rough itinerary. Looking for a mix of nice scenery, some not too taxing hikes, nice cities and some time for relaxing.

For two people we currently have a budget of up to 6000 NZD (although it would be nice if we came home with some left over!). Is the budget we have set out reasonable?? Will be staying in hostels and motels and hopefully cooking a lot of our own meals.

Flights are booked and our rough itinerary is..

15th – 17th Christchurch

17th – 19th Mt Cook (stop off at Lake Tekapo en route)

19th - 21st Queenstown

21st – 24th Te Anau/Milford Sound

24th – 25th Wanaka

25th – 27th Fox/Franz Josef Glaciers

27th – 30th Abel Tasman NP/Nelson

30th – 1st Wellington

Like I said it’s a very rough itinerary and I'm open to any suggestions regarding routes or time scales.

The north island is where I'm struggling. Flying out of Auckland on the 6th and can’t decide how best to spend the time. Tongariro NP and Rotorua are options. Also like the look of Waiheke island for some beach time before we leave!

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 3 week travel itinerary

My only comment is that you will have to break up the drive from the glacier area to Nelson/Abel Tasman. Punakaiki or Westport would be a good midpoint.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 3 week travel itinerary

Waiheke Island is a good destination, with its mix of activities and relaxation. But also it's very handy to the transport systems to reach the airport. Island bus services/taxis - ferry - Airbus all within easy reach of one another.

3. Re: Help with 3 week travel itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2014, 05:17