We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5.5 Days in Queenstown and Aukland

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
5.5 Days in Queenstown and Aukland

My husband and I are doing a two week trip to australia and New Zealand in April 2014 over Easter, and are planning to be in NZ for 5.5 days (I know - way too short, but that's all we can do). We are flying into Queenstown and were thinking of flying up to Auckland where we fly out 5.5 days later. Our question is - how do we divide our time between Queenstown and Auckland? We live in San Francisco so are more interested in nature/adventure and are hoping to do a day trip to Milford sound while in Queenstown. We're thinking 3.5 days in Queenstown and 1.5 in Auckland or is there more in Auckland that we should see? What day trips are recommended from Queenstown?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

California
Level Contributor
8,457 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5.5 Days in Queenstown and Aukland

I think you should spend all your time in Queenstown and just get a connecting flight from Queenstown to Auckland. There's enough to do in Queenstown to spend weeks there alone. With a flight breaking things up, you waste more than half the day packing up, getting to the airport, flying, retrieving luggage, getting to your destination, unpacking. If you are getting a rental car at each destination, that just adds more time on that island hopping flight day. Your time is so short as it is.

Interests are nature and adventure - that has Queenstown written all over it.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5.5 Days in Queenstown and Aukland

Spend it all in queenstown area. Do an overnight on Doubtful and a kayak on Milford if you can.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5.5 Days in Queenstown and Aukland

Thank you both for your suggestions! Sounds great - will do!

Happy Holidays!

4. Re: 5.5 Days in Queenstown and Aukland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:20