We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best book for multi-day hikes in NZ

Tokyo, Japan
1 post
Save Topic
Best book for multi-day hikes in NZ

Hey, We're coming to NZ for around 2 months, planning to do mainly multi-day hikes("tramping" in NZ right?), we are looking for a book which covers all the hikes with specific day-by-day camp sites, maps, etc. Also, would be nice it had some suggested routes all over the country(like linking one hike with another, etc). We don't need the general info, as unfortunately, we've already bought LP NZ, which I thought covers the treks also(BTW - if anyone planes to buy the eBook edition, it is not totally compatible, more like a scanned book, no hyperlinks, etc).

I've read about Tramping in NZ by LP also, but I think it hasn't been updated for a while?

any suggestions are welcomed!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best book for multi-day hikes in NZ

I hghly reoommend www.doc.govt.nz website. Its has info on all the great walks and also walks on each area. Its the department of conservation website and very helpful

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best book for multi-day hikes in NZ

Welcome to the forum N :)

DOC is all you need. Plus visit the local offices and they are packed full with maps, books and all relevant information.

You also might want to consider hiring an emergency locator beacon from DOC - they are invaluable if it all goes pear-shaped.

Safe travels :)

3. Re: Best book for multi-day hikes in NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 05:18