We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance should I book my ticket from LAX to AKL?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How far in advance should I book my ticket from LAX to AKL?

Hi guys,

I am planning a trip to New Zealand and Australia in October of next year. How far in advance do you think I should book? I will be booking all one-way tickets since we will be flying to NZ first, then Australia, then home. The trip is still 9-10 months away.. do you think I might get a cheaper flight by waiting a few months to book? Or should I lock it in now? As of today, one-way flights are about $880. Thanks in advance for your help!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far in advance should I book my ticket from LAX to AKL?

There is no competition on this route so little or no discounting. Planes are always full. I would book as soon as I had dates.

It's not just travellers between the US and NZ, it is Air NZ's only route to LHR.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,772 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far in advance should I book my ticket from LAX to AKL?

One way flights are often similar in price to return. I have seen LAX-AKL return for under $1000 in off-peak seasons such as this. I frequently fly to both NZ & Aust on the same trip and always find that either a triangle or an "L" shape return is cheaper than 3 one way tickets. This is where a travel agent can help.

Consider:

#1 AirNZ LAX-AKL-LAX PLUS AKL-(Australian city?)-AKL

or better still

#2 LAX-AKL- (Australian city??)-ZQN (or CHC); then DIY to AKL & AKL-LAX

3. Re: How far in advance should I book my ticket from LAX to AKL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 06:18