We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

campervan south or north island

Level Contributor
30 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
campervan south or north island

My husband and I will be coming to nz march time and intend to hire a camper van for one island and bus and hostel the other island which one should we have the camper an for any comments very welcome

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: campervan south or north island

Rent a small car for the entire journey as a small car will cost you less than your original option and give much more flexibility.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: campervan south or north island

Do the campervanning in the North Island. It will be warmer.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: campervan south or north island

the best option - a car for both islands.

if wanting a camper and bus then you will find the evenings warmer in the North Island (so better for a camper) and the North Island better serviced by bus transportation. Buses in the South Island too but with greater distances to cover some of your bus journeys will be 8 hours or more.

Mount Isa, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: campervan south or north island

I recommend car hire too- Much more flexible.

You can get accommodation passes for NZ also if you are doing a drive holiday. I also highly recommend hiring a device called "Cruze" Its like a GPS but gives you an audio commentary on places to stop along the way etc. Its roughly the same cost as a GPS and does the same thing with the extra features. You can hire this with the car hire company or camper van hire company just tell them this when you book it.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,661 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: campervan south or north island

If you are looking for this you need to get the spelling right -it is Kruze:

http://www.krusenz.com/

6. Re: campervan south or north island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 06:18