We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most economical way to make international phone calls

Johnson CIty, TN
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Most economical way to make international phone calls

We will be spending a month in New Zealand in March. We can check email at night at our accommodations, but would like to be able to call from New Zealand to US from time to time to check on family, etc. What will be the most economical way to do this? We have Verizon cell phones, but are open to other forms of communications (phone cards, etc.) Please advise. Thanks!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

Skype using free wi-fi connection would be the absolute cheapest - I guess you can't always rely on the wi-fi connection being reliable enough.

You can buy phone cards that give you the ability to phone overseas for just a few cents a minute, if you have access to a landline.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,145 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

You can use Skype and free wifi in hotels or cafes or you can buy a NZ SIM card from a low-cost carrier like 2degrees, or you can buy any number of phonecards for use with landline phones - I used to use Yabba, but every convenience store sells several different kinds.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,145 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

<Snap!>

Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

I recently spent four weeks in NZ South Island and while I did occasionally Skype the family in Australia I also purchased a phonecard. Of course you need access to a landline but all our accommodation (motels) had phones in the room and it was very, very cheap option. I purchased a $10 card and came home with still having $5 credit on it that was after making several long distance calls or at least 20-30 minutes duration.

5. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 00:35
Johnson CIty, TN
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

Thanks for this information. I think a phone card will be our best bet.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
98 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

Can any fellow traveller give me any feedback regards Travel SIM cards. I am travelling to New Zealand in a few weeks then go to Nepal in a couple of months and later in the year to Europe. Would this be the best SIM card to use?

How does Viber cover compare presuming there is free wifi available?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am obviously a bit handicapped in my knowledge of these things, just want to know my children can contact me in an emergency and get an occasional text away to them or even to hear their voices is special. Many thanks for any help or ideas. Julia from Australia

8. Re: Most economical way to make international phone calls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:20