We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with holiday plans

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Help with holiday plans

Firstly can I wish everyone a Happy New year.

Hoping for some help on my planning for my holiday 2014.

Myself and my husband are visiting NZ in August this year as part of an around the world tour, we have 6 nights flying in and out of Auckland.

so far we have planned our first day in Auckland (we arrive at 6am from LA) then we were thinking of hiring a campervan for the next 4 nights then spending our final night in Auckland.

How does this sound, we want to visit Waitomo caves, lake taupo, Rotorua and Hobbit tour.

Is it duable and whats a weather like at that time of year?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with holiday plans

Happy New Year vascriv,

A campervan during August can be a little chilly, as opposed to hiring a car and staying in modest accommodation like s/c motel units, or discounted hotel rooms. But I can well understand the reason for not having to pack and unpack at new accommodation each night. Bring warm clothing and some shower-proof jackets.

You can comfortably visit the above places over 3 nights, allowing for a 2 night stay in Rotorua. Hobbiton can be visited on the return journey to Auckland. If you wanted to see some snow, consider driving south from Waitomo Caves to the Tongariro NP area, and stay in Otorohanga or Taumaranui after the caves. Enjoy a little of the snow-covered Ruapehu next day before continuing on to Taupo for the 2nd night. Rotorua really does need 2 nights to explore with its varied attractions including thermal parks.

Weather in August is a mix of rain, lighter showers, fine sunny intervals, and crisp mornings when its frosty. The central plateau, including Tongariro will receive snow showers. Further away from the volcanic mountains including Taupo, expect a brisk chilly wind on the lake's shoreline during a southerly breeze. Warm clothing is a must, and wear layers. Day time temps can be from 10 - 15 degrees on average during August in the Taupo and Rotorua areas. Some days it can be colder, and all day too.

All the best with your plans.

2. Re: Help with holiday plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:18