We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of NZ in 11 Days

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best of NZ in 11 Days

I am in the process of planning my first trip down to New Zealand. I will have 11 full days to explore the country. My total trip will be 13 days, 2 days for traveling to/from and 11 for seeing the country.

In any event, can someone please suggest what you feel to be the most important things to do/see in the country?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of NZ in 11 Days

Hi,

Depending on your interests, the South Island has mountains, more ski-fields, lakes, glaciers, coastal sounds, bigger coastal plains, glacial rivers, more wildlife (marine and birds) beech forests, more national park area.

The North Island has thermal valleys, volcanic mountains, the biggest lake, waterfalls, more glow-worm caves, native kauri forests, sandy beaches, native birds, fishing charters & diving sites, and offshore islands.

Over 10 - 11 days, including domestic flights to reach some places, you will only have time to explore one of the main island's. Even then you won't cover the entire island - North or South.

What are you main interests for visiting New Zealand?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,236 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of NZ in 11 Days

We need to know your interests - no good recommending wineries or mountains if you prefer shopping....! How will you be travelling & what sort of budget - rental car & hiking or domestic flights & guided tours?

Which airport(s) will you flying into/ out of?

Also time of year is important as beaches are less appealing in winter.

In 11 days I recommend one island, unles syou are prepared to splash out on dometsic flights. Eg you could spend 3 days doing a round trip from AKL to Rotorua by coach and then fly to Queenstown and spend 6 -7 days driving around & ending up in Christchurch.

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of NZ in 11 Days

As of now the plan would be to fly into Auckland from Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Looking to head down there in the middle of October.

As far as interests, I'd like to see some wineries, scenery, scenery and more scenery. Aside from that, go kayaking, see the wildlife, mingle with the locals, check out the cities/towns of note, take a helicopter ride, etc. Be among the natural beauty of the country.

I am just trying to get some feedback from those that have been, or may be from there. Hoping to build a list of the essential things to see in the country.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,236 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of NZ in 11 Days

While your plans are still flexible, I suggest you browse the many itineraries (10 days -14 days) posted here daily and get a feel for what can be done and what others are doing. Do you plan to self-drive?

A good choice is to FLY straight to either CHC or ZQN immediately you arrive in AKL & walk off your jet lag there for a day or so before renting a car.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of NZ in 11 Days

I think you will find you have just 10 days to explore - leave USA Monday it is Wednesday before you arrive in NZ. So that's two days gone, and another day to get home.

Once you have an idea of where you hope to go, post here with your list.

Happy planning :)

6. Re: Best of NZ in 11 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 06:18