We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Week driving holiday itinerary in April

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
2 Week driving holiday itinerary in April

Hi! Would love some advice on our itinerary, and things to see along the way..

15th April: Arrive Auckland at 3pm from Melbourne

16th: Check out Auckland

17th: Pick up hire car, drive to Matamata, then drive to Rotorua

18th: Drive to Wai-O-Tapu for 10am Geyser, then to Aratiatia to do 2 hour hike to huka falls and rapids. Drive to Taupo for night. (Is Wai-O-Tapu better than going to Whakarewarewa? There is another Geyser that has a 90min walk –is that better?) This will be Good Friday - it looks like these places will be open on their websites.

19th: Exlore Taupo and either drive to Paraparaumu or stop somewhere for the night to break up drive if anywhere worth stopping.

20th: Paraparaumu to stay with Family

21st: Drive to Wellington in the afternoon – head out for dinner and explore

22nd: Check out Wellington – go up Mount Vic/TePapa

23rd: Ferry to Picton – Do any hire car companies allow you to take cars on?

24th: Explore Marlborough (we love wine) – Which wineries are worth going to? Should we stay in Blenheim or Picton and book a tour or is it easy to get around the wineries once in the region without a car? I guess it depends on the weather if you want to do it by bike!

From here we are deciding what else to do in the Sth Island. We have both been to Queenstown but would go again if we can fit it in – if not we’d prefer to spend more time in the top/middle of the Sth Island than rush. Is there much to see in Christchurch or should we skip that and check out either Fox or Franz Joseph Glacier? Drive down the middle or west coast?

If we go to the glaciers can you do a hike? I read one needs a helicopter.

We would like to fit in some half day hikes or adventure things - not bungy jumping! So tips for where along the way would be good.

Ideally we need to be back in Melb on the 27th and can fly out of Queenstown/Christchurch/Wellington

I realise a lot of this might have been said before but I’ve been searching and reading for hours ☺. I love trip advisor, and have had amazing holidays in Fiji and Tasmania with your help, and love to give back when I can with indepth trip reviews and answering questions.

We would need to book accommodation in most places so any tips there are also welcome.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Week driving holiday itinerary in April

yes some car rentals allow a car on the ferry - check out Apex

with 3 days to get to Chch or back to Wellington you are severely limited in how far you can go. Forget the glaciers or Queenstown - you simply don't have time.

options include heading over to Nelson and Abel Tasman National Park or just make your way down to Chch.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Week driving holiday itinerary in April

Wai-o-tapu IMO is better than going to Whakarewarewa. Te Puia is almost as good and has less 'touristy' but not as reliable geyser. The Lady Knox geyser at Waiotapu displays each day at 10.15a.m. (make sure you get your ticket before 10 a.m) as it is controlled by a daily feed of soap. Waimungu is an interesting thermal valley and has a boat trip (extra cost) that passes over the once famous tourist attraction, the Pink & White terraces, covered since the 1886 Tarawera eruption, by Lake Rotomahana.

The night of the 17th you could go to a Maori Cultural evening at Te Puia (Te Po) and see Pohutu geyser after the show.

Try to make time to visit Rotorua Museum. you will learn about the different facets that make Rotorua such an interesting place with a fascinating history.

Most places will be open on Good Friday.

Perhaps visit Kapiti Island during your stay in Paraparaumu.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Week driving holiday itinerary in April

Thank you both for you ideas, the itinerary is ever changing and these tips are great.

Thankfully we have a bit of time until we leave and can do lots of research on what we really want to see.. It won't be our trip over to explore and I realise 2 weeks isn't much time, however it is all we have at the moment with work and study.

4. Re: 2 Week driving holiday itinerary in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:20