We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to set a budget for New Zealand,,How expensive is it?

ireland
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to set a budget for New Zealand,,How expensive is it?

Hello ,,I'm planning my trip to New Zealand,my plan is to spend all if not most of my time in the South Island.I'm heading there for the hiking .I'm be travelling solo,, plan to get from A to B using bus,,stay in B&Bs,,as I said it's the walking that's the main reason I'm heading there though I'd like to rent bikes for cycling{I don't have any interest in doing all the adrenaline activities,,,bungee jumping,,paragliding etc}I just want to do as many hikes as possible,,day ones and multi -day ones too.I can stay for 6 to 8 weeks.My question is what's a realistic budget to set ,,I plan to be there from Mid -February up to end of April at the latest.Thanks for any opinions, John

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to set a budget for New Zealand,,How expensive is it?

Hi

Budgeting questions are always very difficult to answer as there are so many variables.

B & B for example can cost anywhere between $100.00 per night and upwards of $300.00. You may wish to have a look at www.bandbassociation.co.nz which will give you a basis for comparisons. B & Bs are not necessarily the cheapest accommodation option but they provide a lot of added value.

Meals can be anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 for a takeaway to $15.00 to $25.00 for a cafe type meal and up to $50.00 or more for decent restaurant meal.

Leaving aside cost of any activities I would say that a reasonable starting point for the basics of accommodation, food and transport for budgeting purposes would be in the $300 - $500 a day range. Could of course do it for less or more.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to set a budget for New Zealand,,How expensive is it?

B&B's in NZ range from moderate through to luxury - they are not for the budget traveller, nor the solo traveller with no car.

Best to consider hostels - most have single rooms though far cheaper to stay in shared dorms - just $25 - $30 per night. Plus a great way to meet other travellers and other hikers - you might also get to arrange shared rides to trailheads etc.

With a bus pass, cheap accommodation and don't spend each evening at the pub you can travel quite comfortably on under $100 per day.

3. Re: Trying to set a budget for New Zealand,,How expensive is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:16