After reading through various posts, we have made the below two itineraries. We have currently 2 options and it is hard for us to decide which one is better. Please advice.
We are couple, both about 30 years old. We will be in New Zealand in the second half of February 2014 for 13 days. We are more interested in New Zealand landscapes, nature than cities, museums, entertainment.
Both options are designed in such a way as to take advantage of the cheapest possible domestic flights on these dates.
OPTION 1 (Queenstown – Christchurch)
1. arrive Auckland morning, fly Queenstown, stay (jet-lag)
2. cruise tour Milford Sound (bus), back to Queenstown
3. Queenstown, explore
4. drive Wanaka, explore
5. drive Glaciers, explore
6. drive Arthur’s Pass, explore
7. drive Mt. Cook, stay
8. Mt. Cook, explore
9. drive Christchurch, explore
10. fly Auckland morning, explore
11. drive Rotorua, explore
12. Rotorua, explore
13. back Auckland, fly home evening
OPTION 2 (circuit)
1. arrive Auckland, stay (jet-lag)
2. drive Rotorua, explore
3. Rotorua, explore
4. back Auckland, fly Christchurch, explore
5. drive Arthur’s Pass, explore
6. drive Glaciers, explore
7. drive Wanaka, explore
8. drive Queenstown, explore
9. cruise tour Milford Sound (bus), back to Queenstown
10. Queenstown, explore
11. drive Mt. Cook, explore
12. drive Christchurch, fly Auckland evening
13. Auckland, fly home evening
What do you think?