We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Uk
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Hi, never been to New Zealand and me and my partner are planning to visit 19 march 2014 for 2 -2.5 weeks we like the idea of a motorhome to see both north and South Island and would like some advice before finalising flights please. We currently are thinking :

Fly into Auckland -1/2 days stay

North island - 6 days? Visiting waitomo/rotorua (2 nights)/taupo/linden wine? Ferry with motorhome?

South Island - 9 days Nelson/fox glacier/queenstown (3 nights inc Milford)/carrick wine estate/Christchurch

Fly out of Christchurch

We are late 30s and into beaches/sightseeing/winery's/restaurants etc i am after any advice on whether the above is doable and have I missed key things we need to visit/should replace above?

How will weather be for motorhome mid-end march and any advice on which motorhome I have been recommended Maui to date any idea on what is appropriate cost I am being charged £2000 at moment.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thank you

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

heres your South Island wish list, day by day;

1 ferry from Wellington, drive to Nelson - or for AT, best stay Motueka or Kaiteriteri

2 explore Abel Tasman

3 drive to Punakaiki

4 drive to Fox

5 explore

6 drive to Wanaka

7 drive to Queenstown

8 explore

9 day tour Milford Sound - bus tour takes 13 hours

10 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

11 drive to Chch, fly out

note that a campervan drives about 20% slower than a car and so many of your drive days will be all day driving.

and yes, a campervan is one of the most expensive ways to explore NZ. A car and motels offers far better value and far greater flexibility.

Uk
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Thank you really helpful. If we hired a car and followed this route is it easy to come across b&bs/motels? Will mid/end march typically be warm weather?

Oz
Level Contributor
12,294 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Hi,

I'm not going to get into the motor home debate. My views on mobile chicanes, caravans and grey nomads are well known to regulars :-) There are plenty of excellent motels, B&Bs, hotels et al in NZ.

However I will say that along with the excellent advice from WLnz I would suggest that your limited time would be best spent on only one island to maximise your 2.5 weeks rather than trying to do too much and spending a lot of time travelling rather than experiencing and undertaking activities. Albeit NZ is often about the journey!

Cheers,

Uk
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Thank you. As we are interested in cycling/visiting wineries would Blenheim be a good idea to visit and is this easy to link with the above? Any other wineries worth a stop?

Oz
Level Contributor
12,294 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Hi,

This is just my opinion and taste. Blenheim has some excellent whites. If cold climate reds are "your thing" and they are mine, the Central Otago area around Cromwell has some outstanding Pinots.

I believe there are organised cycle tours (certainly in the Queenstown/Arrowtown area), in both locations as well as bus tours to include wine, cheese, farm and degustation tours.

Cheers,

Edited: 08 January 2014, 22:37
Uk
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Great will look to do both! Would it be best to drive to Blenheim from nelson en route to punakaki?

Oz
Level Contributor
12,294 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Hi,

Yes not the most direct route but probably the "best" way to go from a winery perspective is via Picton, Cloudy Bay, Blenhiem then on to Punakaki via state Hwy 63 (West Coast Road) and Hwy6.

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

Best get a map of the South Island before zig zagging all over the place willy nilly.

Picton is a 20 minute drive from Blenheim.

Little point in arriving Picton, drive 3 hours hours to Abel Tasman to drive back 3 hours to then zip off again for 4 hours to Punakaiki.

1 ferry from Wellington, drive to Blenheim, wine tour

2 drive to Nelson...

3 explore Abel Tasman

4 drive to Punakaiki

5 drive to Fox

9. Re: 2.5 weeks north/south island via motorhome in march?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:30