We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te Anau or Milford Sound

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Te Anau or Milford Sound

I have been planning our trip to NZ in March and would like to thank everyone on the forum for their posts as I have got a lot of info from it.

We are driving to Milford Sound from Queenstown. Original plan was to drive to Milford and spend the night there before getting an early morning cruise, then drive back to Te Anau for the next night. We liked the idea of being in our camper van after all the tourists have gone home. However, I have read that the sand flies mean you can't sit outside in the evening and also I believe the road to Milford Sound is quite challenging in a camper. Would we be better to stay in Te Anau for 2 nights and brave the crowds on a Saturday by doing an organised tour from Te Anau. Would welcome comments.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Te Anau or Milford Sound

I wouldn't drive a campervan on the Milford Road. You will understand why once you begin the trip.

I think a bus tour by far the most relaxing way to enjoy the scenery - the driver takes care of the road and you can sit back and enjoy the sights.

Te Anau is lovely - you can also visit the glow worms and see the short film Ata Whenua.

Crowds at Milford isn't a real concern. The bus bay can be busy when a bus arrives, departs but that is momentary.

Enjoy :)

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Te Anau or Milford Sound

Thanks for your help. It just confirmed my thoughts. We will stay in Te Anau and book a coach cruise tour from there.

3. Re: Te Anau or Milford Sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18