We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polynesia / South Pacific adventure off the beaten path

Boston
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Polynesia / South Pacific adventure off the beaten path

I'll finish my NZ/AU two months long trip next month and I'll have 3 more weeks to travel before I head back home. I'd be interested to do some more traveling in this part of the world. I could go to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Fiji... those are obvious choices.

But what are my options if I'm looking to do something adventurous? Solomon Islands? Pitcairn? Is there anything to do over there?

On one side I'd like too go somewhere off the beaten path but on the other, I don't want to find myself someplace where there is really nothing interesting to see or do, just BECAUSE it's off the beaten path.

Any recommendations?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,313 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polynesia / South Pacific adventure off the beaten path

Hi Tyler,

Have a good look at the Cook Islands!

Rarotonga the capital island with it's international airport is developed, having the most infrastructure and tourist numbers. However, Air Rarotonga the domestic airline offers a twin-island experience including Atiu island (off the beaten track) - underground caves, native birdlife, lots of bush, remote coves and bays, a coffee plantation, low population and nice options for accommodation, including day-trips.

The second island Aitutaki, is also off the beaten track with its low-level of tourism, but it has a most beautiful lagoon as it's major highlight. The island itself is small, scenic, low-key and with a friendly people. More tourism than Atiu, but plenty of space to explore and feel that you are away from a crowd. Especially on the outlying islets ...(think 'Survivor Cook Islands' series) .

There is a weekly Air NZ direct flight from Rarotonga to LAX, departing late Saturday evening. Alternative to North America is Air Tahiti which code-shares with Air Raro from Rarotonga to Papeete. Daily flights from Auckland to Raro flying Air NZ and Virgin Australia.

The Cook Islands uses NZ currency, due to its close affiliation with NZ. There are more remote islands in the Southern Cook Islands, that are interesting too, with a nice vibe. Except it's nice to visit a place where you can meet people and enjoy meals or a drink out if you want, and have some activities and attractions to experience. Atiu and Aitutaki offer a low-key mix of these aspects.

All the best.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polynesia / South Pacific adventure off the beaten path

Niue. About 1400 residents and max of 300 tourists at any time. Stunning atoll, but with good infrastructure and facilities. Amazing rock formations, snorkelling.

Also Samoa. Savaii is the less populated island of the two main ones and has some awesome seaside basic accommodation.

This is on the NZ forum, so if you are looking for places off the beaten track in Nz we have plenty of those, but you might want to also ask on south pacific forum.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 18:13
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Polynesia / South Pacific adventure off the beaten path

Niue is a good suggestion - only one plane a week during the off-season and two during the high season, so it's not over run with tourists. As close to a private island as the average person is likely to get, really.

Another possibility is Vanuatu - not just Port Vila which probably doesn't qualify as off the beaten path, but one of the other islands would be. I've been to Tanna where it's possible to stand on the edge of the crater of an active volcano. One series of Survivor was shot in Vanuatu, and the 'remote' jungle camp was actually about an hour's drive from Port Vila.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polynesia / South Pacific adventure off the beaten path

Vanuatu. My photo is of the volcano Selsy refers to, Mt Yasur. Amazing snorkelling off Tanna as well - beats anything I've seen in Samoa, Fiji and the GBR.

5. Re: Polynesia / South Pacific adventure off the beaten path

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:18