We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Travel Help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Bus Travel Help!

Hey guys,

Me and a partner will be travelling to both islands for around 5 weeks, and bus travel seems the best form of transport as we really want to explore the county as much as possible. But we're struggling a little to decide on the best option! Any help would be great.

I have read up on 'Kiwi experience' and 'Stray', yet both seem ridiculously expensive seeing as we are travelling on a budget! It looks like they can cost between $1600-$2000 NZD (assuming no discounts) for the length of time that we will be there.

The other option is Intercity coach lines, which seem cheaper, i.e. 60 hours for $450 + $89 per extra 10hours. However we have absolutely no idea how many hours will be needed for a 5 week travelling experience!? Obviously it will depend on how much we travel, however we want to see as much as possible, so if someone could help us with our decision (which is purely price-based) then it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Travel Help!

Welcome to the NZ Forum. I've never seen a bus pass that is anywhere near as expensive as you quote. EG the Stray Maximus pass is around $1300 (with a 24-26 day minimum travel). If you leave out Stewart Island & Milford Sound it comes down to around $1100. These work out at $30-$37 per day - you couldn't go far in the UK for under GBP20 a day. However you could just as easily buy a shorter pass for $700-$900 and travel at a more leisurely pace for not much more than GBP10 per day.

Alternatively you can buy individual bus tickets from as little as $1 per trip if you get in quick to book on Intercity or Naked Bus. As a guide to the Intercity Pass - 15 days of travelling 4 hr per day = 60 hours - so you travel an average of 4 hr roughly every 2nd day & explore the next day...

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Travel Help!

Kiwi Experience includes accommodation each night, Intercity or Maked Bus are just the Bus portion of the tour.

I suppose you pay for the roof over your head.

PS. Their whole kit and caboodle tour looks fantastic, maybe 35 years ago!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Travel Help!

Thanks for the help zhuhai2007! My only real question then, is how many hours we would realistically need (with intercity) to travel on a route which somewhat resembles this one kiwiexperience.com/nz-bus-passes/Pages/whole… ?

Because, even though it's currently $1149, I believe it may rise to $1600 when the deal runs out.

Jeff K: unfortunately, as much as i'd hoped this was true, Kiwi experience doesn't include the accommodation costs!

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Travel Help!

Correction: ^ 'will rise to around $1900'

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Travel Help!

You can work out travel times on www.aamaps.co.nz/#directions

Western Victoria
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Travel Help!

Sorry,

Looking at their FAQ it said it was

7. Re: Bus Travel Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:37