We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on my itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on my itinerary

Hi there,

In dec 2014 to jan 2015 my husband and I want to visit New Zealand. It's our first time. We are planning to go for about 16-17 days and doing mainly the South Island. With a possibility to do some of the north. Advise would be great

New Zealand trip

26th dec - Arrive queenstown airport - coach to te anau (overnight stay)

27th dec - from te anau to Milford sound

27th dec - 30th dec: walking Milford sound track (glow worm caves, hike and scenery)

30th dec overnight stay in te anau

31st dec coach back to queenstown, 1st, 2nd, 3rd Jan stay in queenstown (3 nights)

Hire car on 3rd

3rd- 6th (3 nights) Leave queenstown on 3rd jan for mt cook national park stay in mt cook national park

3rd jan- do hooker valley half day trek

4th jan to 5th mueller hut track

5th jan: (wanaka) 5th jan drive to wanaka stay there from 5th to 6th

6th-8th jan:

6th jan drive to fox glacier stay 7th and 8th. Short drive to franz Joseph to look also

(Ice climbing adventure on the 7th)

Unplanned? Any advise

Possible catching car ferry to Wellington and flight back to sydney from Wellington airport

9th,10th,11th, 12th? - extra day perhaps

Wellington and Auckland?

Thanks jess

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,610 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on my itinerary

Welcome to TA, Jess. I find your itinerary quite confusing to read, but it seems you are planning to walk the Milford Track backwards (ie from Milford Sound to Te Anau). Strange as it may seem, this is not allowed! To enhance the wilderness experience & make bookings easier, the MT can only be walked from Te Anau to MS. You can then stay a night at MS and get a bus back to Te Anau or Queenstown.

7. glacier hike

8. Drive to Chch

9. Drive to Kaikoura

10. Kaikoura to Picton to Wellington

11. Explore Wellington

12. Fly home

2. Re: Advise on my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:21