We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with Maiden Name Passport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with Maiden Name Passport

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a 14 day trip to NZ within the next few months. We are planning on hiring a 2-berth motorhome.

My question relates to my passport. We have been married for just over 2 years and I haven't changed my passport name to be my married name. Turns out if I had done it within the first year of marriage they would have done it free of charge. Now, however, I have to go through the process all over again AND pay the full amount ($244!).

Information on the Australian Government site regarding passports states this:

"It is legal to travel in your previous name, but it is recommended in this case that your tickets are issued in the same name. "

Would people advise changing the name (and paying the fee :( ) or travelling with tickets in my maiden name, so it matches my passport?

My only concern would be my driver's licence (which is my married name)- Seeing as we will be driving a motorhome.

Would we be OK if we carried our original marriage certificate with us everywhere just in case?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling with Maiden Name Passport

<<As you are legally Mrs His-Name then pay the $244 and get your passport reissued - it lasts 10yrs and is drama free.>>

Actually you are legally Mrs "his name" and Mrs "your name" at the same time. You can use either name at any time, as long as you have the documentation to match. All a marriage certificate allows you to do is legally use another name without having to go through Deed Poll.

To the OP I travel with my maiden name passport ( including to NZ with no issues) but

My drivers license is in married name. All I do is make sure all air bookings are done in same name as passport. I carry a certified copy of my marriage certificate just in case anyone wonders why my 2 photo ID's differ, but have never had to use it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling with Maiden Name Passport

Thank you everyone :)

13. Re: Travelling with Maiden Name Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22