We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days - Itinerary advice needed!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
10 Days - Itinerary advice needed!

Hey all,

I'm planning to head over to NZ this year for Easter with my partner and between 4 and 6 other people. The plan is to hire a car (or 2 if required) and drive around from place to place however I'm worried my original plan to do both islands in 10days/9nights is probably asking a bit much. Would love some thoughts feedback or experiences to help plan my trip. FYI we are all in our mid 20s and whilst keen to see the sights and experience the culture we also want to be able to make the most of the nights!

My original plan was to arrive in Auckland spend 2 nights, then head to Rotorua with a detour via Waitomo to see the glow worms. Spend 1 night in Rotorua then drive down to Wellington. Spend 2 nights there then catch the ferry to Picton, Spend the day on a wine tour then stay the night in Picton before driving to Christchurch. Spend 1 night in Christchurch then drive over to Queenstown and spend 2 nights there. With the potential for a trip over to milford sound/arrow town.

The driving isn't much of an issue as we did quite a bit on our last holiday but perhaps we are trying to fit too much into one go, and if that's the case then the question that I'm sure has been asked a million times North or South island!?

Any help would be ace!

Akaroa Dolphins
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Hop n Grape Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
Sea Shuttle Bay of Islands
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Bubbly Grape Wine Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,922 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days - Itinerary advice needed!

Welcome to the NZ Forum, Michael. I assume you plan to fly back to Australia from Queenstown?

The two big driving days you have planned are Rotorua to Wellington (with only the 1 N in ROT you are barely going to have time to see anything of the town's thermal attractions) & of course Chch to QTN. Both can be done in one day, esp if you have more than one driver, but if I were you I would consider staying 2 N in Rot, then driving back to AKL to return the car & FLY to CHC:

1. Arr AKL; stay

2. Explore;

3. Drive to Rotorua via Waitomo Caves

4. Explore Rotorua

5. Drive back to AKL; Fly to CHC

6. Drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook;

7. Drive to QTN

8. Explore QTN

9. Day trip to Milford Sound

10. Fly home

Do take note of where you will be over Easter as the Wanaka/Queenstown area is already fully booked for the Easter weekend due to Warbirds over Wanaka. You might have to reverse the itinerary to get accommodation.

2. Re: 10 Days - Itinerary advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 07:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question