We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

Athens, Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

We will be travelling to NZ in three weeks and taking a campervan tour mostly of the South Island. I would like to find a good day hike that is comparable to Helvellyn or the Langdale Pikes in the UK Lake District. I've looked at the DOC website and there are lots of hikes listed. I've also looked at some NZ hiking websites with lots of hikes, but with no local knowledge, it's difficult to determine whether or not a particular hike is what I am looking for.

I can do either a point-to-point or a circular hike, although a point-to-point would be preferable. A moderate to difficult hike over 10-12 miles would be good. I'd like somewhere with spectacular vistas so I can take some photo's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Andy

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,661 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

I don't know the hikes you refer to, although I have done some hikes in the Lakes District. The best mod-difficult hikes in the SI with views are the 3-4 days Great Walks, but it is possible to do part of them as a day trip eg Te Anau to Luxmore Hut on the Kepler, with views over the Murchison Mtns. You can also hike from Routeburn Shelter to Routeburn Falls or beyond on the Routeburn Track.

In Aspiring NP there is the popular Rob Roy track.

In Canterbury there are several good day tramps in Arthurs Pass - eg Avalanche Peak & Bealey Spur.

At the Glaciers I love the Roberts Point track which climbs through beech forest to a lookout above Franz Josef Glacier.

Have you looked at the DoC website? Www.doc.govt.nz

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,047 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

Also Nelson Lakes National Park. Or for a coastal view you cant go past Abel Tasman National Park or Queen Charlotte Walk. you can do any of these as a day or multi day walk.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

Consider Nelson Lakes National park - you could park at Mt Robert carpark and take Paddy's Track to Bushline Hut (for spectacular lake views and what I call "gentle mountain" views). 1 1/2 hours or 4kms from carpark to Bushline Hut. Then head some way along Robert Ridge, ie along the track to Angelus Hut.

Going all the way to Angelus hut may be a bit much for a day trip as it is 10.5km from Bushline Hut, but if you did decide to go that far you could make a loop trip by coming back along Speargrass Track (11km from Angelus Hut back to Mt Robert carpark). Even if you only go part way along Robert Ridge there are spectacular views of what I call "real mountains" :-)

If you were keen to get to Angelus Hut and back, you can skip Bushline hut at the start by taking the more direct track to Bushedge Shelter (instead of Paddy's track), and then head along Robert Ridge.

Be aware Robert Ridge is an exposed alpine route and you need all the appropriate clothing and safety gear, and good weather. The tracks are well marked and you should not have trouble following them, but take a map anyway.

Avalanche Peak in Arthurs Pass is another one to consider (I've not done it). Bealey Spur is nice but pretty easy and not that long. If you can do part of the Routeburn or Kepler that would be a good option (I've not done either). If you are have some experience with map reading and navigation you could go somewhere like the Lewis Pass Tops (no track once you're on the tops). I'm sure there are heaps of other good options but IMHO you can't get better than Nelson Lakes and Robert Ridge in good weather!

Athens, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

Thank you for all the replies. I've been checking out the Nelson Lakes tracks and it looks like that will our best bet as it will dovetail nicely with our planned route. I'll be starting to pack this weekend (we are flying out on the 15th of Feb) and I will probably have some questions about what kind of gear to pack. I'm used to hiking in changeable climates, but generally without extremes (no snow in Summer for example).

Thanks again!

Andy

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,047 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

nelson Lakes is a wonderful area. It is alpine so be prepared for all weather conditions. We do have hot sunny windy days at present. but alpine can change fast, and it could be snow.

6. Re: Any South Island Hikes similar to Helvellyn or Langdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19