We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon to New Zealand in October -flights

Charlottesville...
1 post
Save Topic
honeymoon to New Zealand in October -flights

Hi there!

My fiance and I are looking at booking a flight in October from the states to Auckland. We want to start in Auckland and rent a car making our way down to the South Island. My original thought was to book all the flights together, IAD-LAX-AUK and Christchurch/Queenstown-AUK-LAX-IAD. However, I am now leaning towards booking the flight from Christchurch/Queesntown to Auckland separately, staying an extra night if the flight doesn't line-up. Also, booking the flight from Dulles to LAX at another time to try and catch a deal as well. I'm wondering if its better to book now or wait closer to the month to book a flight? I read that October is a shoulder season and shouldn't be as busy, but not sure when I should book?

Any suggestions would be super helpful!

Wales
Level Contributor
234 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon to New Zealand in October -flights

Well in the UK January was sales season, so we have already booked our international flights at a bargain price as have a couple of friends also travelling in October (although they are going to Australia). Not sure whether early booking is also a good idea for internal domestic flights

California
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon to New Zealand in October -flights

If you want to wait to book your internal flight in New Zealand, fine. But you want to book your international flights as a connection on one ticket with your IAD-LAX and LAX-IAD. A carrier generally prices these things as Washington DC to New Zealand, which just happens to connect in LAX. They price that cheaper than a round trip IAD-LAX-IAD plus LAX-NZ-LAX. I'd also worry about your luggage ending up in LAX when you find yourself in NZ if it's on separate tickets.

There are exceptions all the time. But generally speaking, your best to have it all on one ticket.

3. Re: honeymoon to New Zealand in October -flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 06:21