We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days driving

prenton01
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days driving

Hello everyone

Me and my wife are coming to NZ from UK in Feb 2015, our holiday plan is as follows

Cook islands 7 nights , 10 days in NZ then 4 days in Melbourne ( to visit wife's brother )

the questions i have is it possible to do Auckland to Christchurch driving in 10 days having around 5 places to spend a couple of night and which route would people advise

east coast ?

west coast ?

or down the middle ?

We are both 40+ and like to see a bit of scenery and some history as well. The wife said she has to do Hobbiton or she won't forgive me.

All answers much appreciated in advance

Tony

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days driving

Hi Tony

Yes you can drive Auckland the Chch in 10 days - but the majority of NZ's iconic scenery is south of Chch, so you will be missing much of the best bits.

Fine if you anticipate another, longer visit in the future to explore the South Island properly - but if this is your one and only visit then perhaps use your time to better effect?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days driving

Hi Tony,

I hope the weather on Rarotonga is as good for your trip, as it is today on the island.

To drive to Christchurch from Auckland, including Hobbiton (Matamata), here's a suggestion:-

Auckland - Hobbiton - Rotorua (2 N)

Taupo - Napier (2 N)

Napier - Wellington (2 N)

Wellington - Picton - Blenheim (2 N)

Blenheim - Kaikoura - Christchurch (2N).

Alternatives are:-

1. do a loop tour from Auckland - Hobbiton - Rotorua - Taupo - Waitomo Caves - Auckland, with a 2 night stopover in Rotorua. Fly to south Island from Auckland.

2. Fly to South Island from Rotorua.

Otherwise the places suggested on the drive from Auckland to Christchurch all have an individual appeal. Rotorua is an interesting year round city with its strong Maori culture and historical value. Besides having thermal attractions, lakes and streams.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 19:17
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days driving

Should have recommended that if your NZ stay is a total of 10 days, better to plan for a night stop-over in Auckland, ahead of setting of on NZ roads. Shave one night Blenheim, or perhaps Napier?

prenton01
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days driving

Thanks for the replies i had done some googling work myself and came up with this plan which is similar to Frangipani08

2 Nights Auckland

2 nights Rotorua ( 1 day for hobbiton )

2 nights Napier

2 nights wellington

We were planning to do 10 nights but we had an idea that if we made it 8 nights then flew to Melbourne then we could fit a stopover in on way back to London maybe Hon Kong or KL

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,296 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days driving

Will you fly to MEL from WLG? That would make more sense than returning to AKL.

prenton01
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days driving

Yes will be flying to MEL from WLG

7. Re: 10 Days driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:19