We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea shells

Broken Bow, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Topic
Sea shells

Where is a good place to find sea shells in New Zealand ~~ North OR South Island?

What are some of the best beach walks?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea shells

It would be best that you don't take shells from our beaches please.

'Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints'

any beach is lovely to walk on. They're each quite unique throughout the country. Possibly the most unique would be hot water beach on the coromandel where you may dig a hole in the sand and reach hot water!

Broken Bow, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea shells

Thank you for your kind reply. As a person who has worked in Yellowstone off and on, for over 50 years, I would not be happy with anybody who went around picking up antlers, buffalo horns, animal bones, arrowheads, eagle feathers (HUGE FINE!), pine cones, basalt, obsidian, and the rest. The seashells can stay in the sea.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea shells

:-)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,390 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea shells

Abel Tasman National Park has some amazing beach walks - http://www.abeltasman.co.nz/

I love the wild weather and rugged isolation of Cannibal Bay, Catlins newzealand.com/in/article/cannibal-bay-track/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea shells

The walk around the base of Mt Maunganui was a favourite with my kids. There used to be a cove with seashells piled metres deep ("ostrich foot" shells). Is it still there? It used to be thrilling to find the odd paua shell (abalone) or unbroken scallop shell washed up.

Tauranga
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea shells

Zhuhai. It's still there.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea shells

Thanks for that. I must go back soon. Our walk around the Mount was washed out a couple of years ago.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea shells

If you do make it to Waiheke Island, both Oneroa beach and Onetangi beach are wonderful places for a lengthy stroll, and you'll notice colourful scallop shells, horse mussels at times, as well as pipi and cockle shells above the high tide mark and towards the low tide mark for the smaller sea-shells.

Muriwai beach, NW of Auckland, is another neat area for a lengthy beach stroll along its black sands. Depending on the time of year for your visit, there is a large gannet colony nesting on a couple of the rocky outcrops close to Muriwai beach.

Broken Bow, Nebraska
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea shells

Cannibal Bay! Sounds like the title of a movie. And the attached picture is FANTASTIC. I have got 5 hours to do the return walk! In fact, I've got all thr time it takes!! And I will! Thanks so much !!! TS

California
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea shells

I'm wondering if the picture WL linked to is Cannibal Bay or Surat Bay. Anyone know for sure?