We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

Australia
Level Contributor
320 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

Having a fantastic holiday in the Soputh Island, 10 days in... Hit our first snag today. Whenever we eat at a Restaurant we tend to buy a Bottle of wine at the Restaurant rather than BYO. The reason being that it puts a few more $$ into the local Business owners. Today we bought a Bottle for $32- at a Restaurant which would onlyhave cost $16- at a Bottle Shop (Off Licence) + $5- "Corkage". Obviously it is more economical to BYO but for reason above, thats OK.. . So we drank 75% of the Bottle and was about to take home the remaining 25%.. At this point we were told that we couldnt take the Bottle. Option 1, leave it there and what do they do with it.?....... Option 2, Drink it there and then which probably would have taken 1 or both of us over the .04% Blood alcohol limit.... It seems ridiculous that you cannot take what you dont drink, its not like we would be drinking it in the street, we would be drinking it after getting home safely. .. We have done the "takeaway" maybe 3 times already in NZ, without being told otherwise so what is the correct ruling on this. . If we had done the BYO option then apparently its OK to take home whatever you dont drink.. I cannot comprehend why one cannot take what one has paid for.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

Generally in NZ the restaurant is either a BYO or it sells wine - you can't take your own wine in unless it is BYO.

As for leaving with wine - I thought you were able to leave with your bottle? Didn't I read something about it a year or so ago? But I have never encountered this as no wine is left undrunk at our table :)

and yes, it seems silly to not allow you to take it home. But I don't make the rules.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

If it is an onlicence, where you buy the wine from the restaurant, they are not allowed to sell it for consumption off the premises. Oddly enough, this very thing hit the newspaper in the last week or so.

Australia
Level Contributor
320 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

I think its a stupid situation where you are being encouraged to drink the full bottle instead of stopping when had enough and taking the rest home..

Tauranga
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

You probably wouldn't want to be caught with an opened bottle in the streets of a downtown area especially if there is a liquor free zone in place. The fine would be more than the cost of half a bottle of wine.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 10:03
California
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

If you aren't likely to drink the entire bottle, don't you have the option of ordering by the glass?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

Yep, that's what we do DeS.

If two of us and we are driving we simply order a glass each, rather than a bottle.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

Most restaurants in NZ have an "On Premise" Licence, the same as NSW, VIC, WA, and probably the rest of Australia.

This is from the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing web site.

"In most circumstances, an on-premises licence does not permit takeaway alcohol sales. Alcohol sold under the licence must be consumed on the licensed premises."

8. Re: What is the law re. Buying Alcohol at Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:16