We are a family with 2 kids(9 and 14). We will be flying into/out-of Christchurch
Here is our itinerary and some follow up questions:
Day 1 (Wednesday, 26/02/2014)
Fly into Christchurch(2:30PM)
Day 2 (Thursday, 27/02/2014)
Drive to Mt Cook, do the Glacier explorer boat trip
Overnight: Mt Cook/Twizel
Day 3 (Friday, 28/02/2014)
Drive to Wanaka and visit Puzzling World.
Day 4 (Saturday, 01/03/2014)
Day trip to Queenstown.
Day 5 (Sunday, 02/03/2014)
Local sightseeing in and around Wanaka.
Day 6 (Monday, 03/03/2014)
Drive to Glenorchy first and then drive to Te Anau
Overnight: Te Anau
Day 7 (Tuesday, 04/03/2014)
Drive to Milford Sound and back.
Overnight: Te Anau
Day 8 (Wednesday, 05/03/2014)
Drive the SSR through Catlins to Dunedin.
Day 9 (Thursday, 06/03/2014)
Dunedin local sightseeing
Day 10 (Friday, 07/03/2014)
Drive to Christchruch(Flight is at 1:00PM)
1. Are taxis readily available in Christchurch or we need a car to move around? Any suggestions for a family hotel in Christchurch with shops/restaurants in walking distance?
2. In stead of staying in Christchurch for the night, can we drive straight from the airport to some good place near lake Pukaki and stay there for 2 nights and do Mt Cook as a day trip. We will be coming to Christchurch after spending few days in Sydney, so it is not a long flight for us. We would rather have a long day and a 2 night stay than having to stay one night in Christchurch and one night at Mt Cook.
3. My daughters love domestic animals. Is there any farm-stay in/near our stops for overnight stay? Any specific suggestions?
4. Is there going to be snow at any ski slopes at this time of the year? My daughters want to play in the snow, so don't mind taking a detour.
5. I read somewhere that SSR between Te Anau and Dunedin can be done in a day. Is it true? If yes then what are the places where we can stop for wildlife viewing?
6. What is a good area in Dunedin to stay for local sightseeing? Any suggestion for a family hotel?
Appreciate your help/suggestions on this. Thanks in advance!