We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new zealand in winter.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
new zealand in winter.

Hi my partner and I were planning a trip to NZ in july our main concern is the weather. We would mainly be travelling through out the north I would like to go to the south if we have time though to. Im looking foward to seeing some amazing scenary however the weather might ruin this for us. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for us.

Thank you

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new zealand in winter.

Welcome to the forum :)

It helps if you let us know where you live as a person from the tropics has different weather expectations than someone from Alaska.

In the central South Island July is usually dry with stunning clear blue skies and chilly temps. There could be fresh snow on the mountains each night, though seldom does it land in the towns/cities.

Nelson also has a stunning winter weather with clear skies and more mild temps.

You can expect more rain and grey skies in the North island.

If you tell us what your actual weather 'concern' is, perhaps we can better advise you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new zealand in winter.

Thanks for the reply :)

Im from south australia so we dont get very cold winters here the min would be 5-6c.

The plan was to start of in Auckland and make our way down. I would like to go to hamilton, rotorura, Taupo, napier then on to wellington.

If like to go to the south island to go on the tranzalpine train and see milford sound but not sure if we will get time.

I have read on some forums that somethings are closed during winter and the scenic sights are hard to see etc etc. So I wasnt sure if it was the best time to travel there?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new zealand in winter.

I don't know which forums you have been reading - as the information is incorrect.

The scenery is enhanced in winter, not obscured.

And yes, you won't find many swimming activities in winter but I can't think of any places which close.

What is it that you hope to do that you think you can't do?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new zealand in winter.

Ok thanks :)

I was just making sure that we wouldnt be travelling at a bad time. The way they were talking about NZ in the winter made it sound like it was a bad time to go! Just made me a little concerned!

We are still planning on what we want do. I know my boyfriend wants to go bungy jumping and quad biking. We are just at the beginning of planning it though :)

Thanks for your help!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new zealand in winter.

IN this area (Wanaka) our winter days can be cold, but are usually sunny. This makes a huge difference to the enjoyment of sightseeing. It may be cold, but the weather is actually beautiful. You just need to have a good jacket, gloves and a hat.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new zealand in winter.

sounds amazing! i would love to go to both islands but im not sure we would have enough time or money. Its so hard to decide. My parents went a few years ago to the milford sound. They are still raving about it, i would love to go there too.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new zealand in winter.

How many days do you plan to travel?

And here in Nelson we have sunny days and relatively mild temps for NZ. Most days through winter I seldom wear a winter jacket and never hat, gloves, scarf.

The two drawbacks to winter travel - shorter days and potentially icy roads. Some regions the roads freeze overnight so best not drive before 10am or after dark on country roads. But the stunning scenery makes up for it :)

California
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new zealand in winter.

In Winter, it's best to take the coach tour to Milford. The drivers are certainly more experienced driving it and you can relax and enjoy the scenery. But more importantly, if a rockslide should close off the road while you are in Milford, it will be up to the tour company to get (fly) you out. Otherwise, you will have to pay for the expensive flight and also the price for the rental car company to retrieve your car.

The one tour that really cuts back in Winter is the overnight tours of Doubtful Sound. I think everyplace else, it's business as usual. But I personally wouldn't plan on swimming with seals, I'd be a popsicle the rest of the day!

9. Re: new zealand in winter.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:19