We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An International travel sim

Adelaide
Level Contributor
89 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
An International travel sim

I think I just posted my message in the wrong place but I want to find a recommendation about International travel SIM cards. I have 3 trips this year to New Zealand in a few weeks, later Nepal and in September Europe. Can anyone suggest the most convenient / economical way to be able to send and receive a few messages and several phone calls, mainly just to hear from my family every few days. Any suggestions will be followed up and appreciated. Many thanks to fellow travellers, Julia from Australia

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An International travel sim

I think it's best to buy SIM at every country. For some of the NZ prepaid plans, you can use the minutes in the package to call Australia. I use 2degrees. They are doing something about reducing roaming rates within Europe but not too sure if they pass the law yet.

2. Re: An International travel sim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 13:05
Adelaide
Level Contributor
89 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An International travel sim

Thank you to the Trip Advisor responders. I always appreciate the assistance and ideas from fellow travellers. Cheers from sunny South Australia

Antwerp, Belgium
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An International travel sim

Hi Adelaide, my own experience when traveling abroad and still being connected is using an international sim card from Tellink roaming. It is easy because of the fact that you don't need to buy any local sim cards and still pay a lot less than keeping your own sim. The good thing is that you can let it ship free to anywhere in the world. You can find one at http://www.tellinkroaming.com. Hope to have helped you out.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An International travel sim

I am a fan of a local sim card in each area...

I did use travelSim (brought from Aust post) and it worked fine, especially as my local PO stuffed up and gave me double bonus credit. No bonus credit at all if not brought through PO. However those cards work on a overseas phone number so you need to do a little extra dialling first before being connected....but my biggest downside to them is that this one used a Estonian number...local people in various countries I travelled were still going to need to make an international call to contact me (rather than local if I had sim card for their country). if its just family at home ringing you via the dedicated Aust connect number it should be OK.

I think the individual sim cards is better, you will just need message the contacts at home on arrival so they have your current number.

I was happy with 2 degrees in NZ. Good pricing, and data included on some sim plans.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An International travel sim

In NZ to get the great 2degrees "visitor" sim with free calls to Oz, UK +++. And free local calls with a limit you have to buy it at a 2degrees store not in a deli or reseller. Only $20 includes data and calls.

In Europe - Italy and Greece - TIM was best. It was about 10euro for a month when we went including calls and data. Great value.

7. Re: An International travel sim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:15