We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in North Island

Coventry, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in North Island

Hi Everyone!

We will be arriving into Auckland on the 06/09/2014 for our honeymoon and will be there until the 14/09/2014.

As we are on our honeymoon and being conscious of the time we have, we are going to confine ourselves to North Island.

We are looking to stay in Auckland - Central for 2/3 nights before moving on to check out Waitomo Gloworm Caves (Black Abyss Tour) and Hobbition.

Aside from someone who can suggest an itinerary that will involve seeing both these sights, can someone please assist with travel suggestions? I know that it might be beneficial to hire a car but I would like to avoid this if possible.

From what I can see it takes 3-4 hours from Auckland - Central to Waitomo Caves. Is there any nice places to see there and is Hobbiton close by? The reason why I make reference to Hobbiton is because a lot of tours manage to include the two and return to Hobbiton. The reason why we are not doing the tour is to take part in the black abyss experience.

We would also like to include some Moari experience if possible and all this needs to involve a return trip to Auckland at some point on the 14th as we depart for home then.

Can someone help? I know it's a massive ask but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Caveworld
Caverns & Caves
Orakei Korako Cave & Thermal Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hot Springs & Geysers, Caverns & Caves, Geologic Formations
Ruakuri Cave
Caverns & Caves
Te Anau Glowworm Caves
Caverns & Caves, Bodies of Water
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in North Island

Hi ATTOne,

Great Sights tours visit Waitomo and Hobbiton, as well as Rotorua. You could probably organise a night stopover in Waitomo to complete your adventure, before continuing on to Hobbiton (in Matamata) and Rotorua for several nights stay. Lots of activities in Rotorua including Maori history and cultural experiences.

Great Sights also offer tours to the Bay of Islands, north of Auckland. Suggest you include a Northland tour for Maori history, and a bay cruise from Paihia. Day-trips to Cape Reinga by coach are also available from Paihia - www.greatsights.co.nz/filter/departs-auckland

You could perhaps look at using a mix of Great Sights and their associate company, InterCity coachlines, to get from one location to another, or for the return journeys to Auckland - http://www.intercity.co.nz/

If you decide to hire a car, you could spend longer in each location to explore a wider area e.g. other attractions surrounding Waitomo. Perhaps 2 nights Auckland, 3 - 4 nights Waitomo/Hobbiton/Rotorua, followed by 2 - 3 nights in Paihia. Or vice versa for the beyond Auckland tours.

Coventry, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in North Island

Thanks FRANGIPANI08!

Can I just ask for some advise on how to get from Rotorua to MataMata including a return? I've had a look at nakedbus etc but their trips take atleast twice as long as the actual car driving distance and if we used a bus, we would have to stay in matamata for 1 night in order to catch a return to rotorua.

after reviewing what Frangipani08 put I think it would be benefical to go from Auckland to Rotorua which is then around 1hr away from both Matamata and Otorohangu (waitomo). This is ofcourse before traveling back to Auckland.

Is this sensible or should I change the order we approach these?

All advise is appreciated. Thank you all!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in North Island

There are local tours to Hobbiton, operating a day return trip from Rotorua. Book through the Hobbiton site or Great Sights coachline (link above post) or Relaxing Journeys -

hobbitontours.com/OurTours/…Default.aspx

relaxingjourneys.co.nz/sightseeing_tours/hms…

Your best option to visit the Waitomo Caves is to do a tour on your way to Rotorua, or during the return trip to Auckland. If you go with Great sights, they provide a caves tour before reaching Rotorua. You could tour Hobbiton as a side trip on the bus journey to Auckland through Great Sights.

If you are keen to visit Hobbiton from Rotorua, I suggest you could use Great Sights to Rotorua via caves, do a half-day tour to Hobbiton (ex Rotorua) and take the Intercity coach from Rotorua directly to Auckland.

Do something similar with Northland for Bay of Islands and Far North adventures using a combination of Great Sights-InterCity coaches.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 18:42
4. Re: Honeymoon in North Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:17