We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

I've been reading all of the reviews for car rental companies and am having a hard time finding current/up to date ones. Before making our reservation I just wanted to check and see what the current situation is in NZ with the car rental companies....is Apex still a good one? I typically book everything through expedia or priceline but apex doesn't show up on there and it is significantly less expensive. Any feedback on reliable companies would be great! We're doing a 6 week tour of the north and south islands, don't want an SUV but a midsize car (like a toyota camry or something size wise). Thanks!

89 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

yep Apex :)

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

Yes Apex is definitely still a good option

Oz
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

Hi,

Certainly Apex is a very viable option we have used them with no problem (their vehicles are older than first tier renters)..............but if you have a loyalty card with Hertz or Avis (Avis own Apex BTW) their special deals often approximate Apex's prices and you have a "new" vehicle with airport pick up and drop off.

Cheers,

Edited: 24 February 2014, 00:54
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

We have used Apex without any problems.

Rochester
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

I just completed a trip where I rented from Apex for 13 days. I rented a Nissan Tilda as I wanted to be assured that I would have a sedan with an enclosed trunk. They classify it as a mid sized car.

I had an accident where I was trying to get out of a tight parking spot and put a good sized dent in the back bumper. Since I had opted for the full insurance there was no problem, I only had to complete an accident report when I returned the car.

Biggar, United...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

We used both Apex and Hertz fairly recently and they were both fine. Apex allow you to keep the same vehicle and pay for it to cross on the ferry between islands (you just pay for the passengers). Apex vehicle selected was about 3 years old and in good condition, Hertz was new. Apex were less costly. Look at getting excess waiver on insurance reduced to Nil - the excess costs in NZ are high.

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

We used Apex at the beginning of this month on a weekend away - highly recommend them. Service was excellent from start to finish. Car was around 4 years old and in great condition.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

I used Apex in my October-November 2012 trip, and they were great. Good price, good service, and excellent gas mileage, which is a must with NZ's astronomically high gas prices.

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

Thanks for all of the responses - one more question. I'm looking at the options with Apex. there is a "full sized sedan" from 2006 that seems like a good value. I contacted the company but they couldn't give me any information on the specific kind of sedan or mileage. I've used older cars here but never abroad. Are they usually okay? We will be traveling the north and south islands for 6 weeks. I know there are negative experiences here and there with any company but in general. Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?

Just returned from 3 weeks north and south Islands 3500km. We had a 5 year old Nissan with 50 000k on the clock. Absolutely no problem. But do try to get them to give you a handbook !

Reply to: Apex Car Rental - still a good one?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted