We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zealandia or rainbow springs

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
zealandia or rainbow springs

Hi Guys,

Is it worth visiting Zealandia if we visit Rainbow springs? Are both really different? Rainbow springs fits well in the itinerary as there is combo with Mitai Village. If we visit Zealandia, we will have to leave night market, which I am keen on visiting.

Thanks for all the help,

Regards,

Kavita

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

Zealandia (in Wellington) and Rainbow Springs (in Rotorua) are completely different.

Zealandia has many kilometres of walkways through amazing native bush & countryside and you see birds and animals in quite a natural environment.

Rainbow Springs isa much more like a zoo/ theme park style of set up with animals in 'enclosures' and a log flume theme ride at the end.

Both are excellent, but definitely completely different.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
677 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

Haven't been to Rainbow Springs, but I loved Zealandia and plan on returning. Do you have a full day in Wellington? If so, you could start your day with a one-way trip on the Cable Car, going from the CBD to the top, walk around the Botanical Garden a bit, before catching the free shuttle (that leaves from bear the top of the Cable Car) to Zealandia, Take a guided walking tour at Zealandia, where you can see freely roaming Takahe, many Kaka, Tuataras, and many other native species. It's an oasis in the city. When done, catch the free shuttle down to the I-Site office, which is within walking distance of Te Papa. Walk to Te Papa, enjoy the exhibitions and lovely views. That night go to night market.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
677 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

Sorry, I never took typing lessons. I meant to write: "that leaves from NEAR the top of the Cable Car."

No BEAR in Wellington (except at the zoo).

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

Rainbow Springs has one of the purest forms of water in NZ as well as a canopy walk, stream walk and at least you do get to see the animals, birds, including kiwi at the kiwi enclosure after dark . It also has native flora & fauna. Zealandia was over priced ( I believe the entry charge has now been lowered) and we saw few birds and no animals. When in Wellington I would rather go to the Otari Gardens for free than pay to go to Zealandia,

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

Well I completely disagree with Val Gee as I thought Zealandia was excellent....

You have to be patient and you definitely have to do a reasonable amount of walking to see things, but it is just such a fantastic natural environment.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

They are both very different. Zealandia is an area of lovely bush which the native birds, have protection from predators due to the large pestfree fence. The birds are free to come and go. They do have tutatara. But if going to Zealandia dont miss the bird talks or feeding, especially Kaka.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

Thanks every one. That's very helpful. I land in Wellington from Queenstown at 12:45 noon. I have just this day to explore and leave next morning early. On this night I want to visit night market for dinner. So what can be the possible plan and things to see in the given time?

I was thinking taking a tour right from airport, so don't have to waste time going to hotel and doing check in. Anyways check in time is 3:00 pm. What are charges of taxi per hour? I was thinking of taking a taxi for whole day or pre book a private tour for 4 us.

Regards,

Kavita

Edited: 26 February 2014, 08:43
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

If you only have a day to explore wellington I wouldnt recommend zealandia. You just dont have time to do see wellington and explore zealandia.

I suggest you explore the wellington waterfront. go on the cable car.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
677 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

I agree with PoppyNZ, as you'll be arriving in the afternoon. You'll arrive at 12:45, wait around for your luggage. It'll take about 15 minutes to get to your hotel by taxi. Maybe you'll be there by 1:20 p.m. (airport is right in the city). You could be there even earlier, if your flight gets in early or if they get your luggage off right away.

The night market is 5 to 11 p.m. on Fridays, so I am guessing you must be going to Wellington on a Friday. I don't know when time the night tours of Zealandia leave. You might have time to go to night market and then catch a taxi to Zealandia for a night tour.

You'll want to spend a couple of hours at Te Papa, then walk around (Wellington is very walkable). You'll probably want to have lunch. Cable Car runs until 10 p.m., but you'll want to see the water and city views, so go before dark.

www.wellingtoncablecar.co.nz/times-fares/

Your idea of immediately catching a taxi to Zealandia could work. They probably have a cloakroom, where you can temporarily store your luggage (you should ask).Their site says their 45-minute tours leave at 1:15 on weekdays and 1:15 and 2:15 on weekends and holidays, but you have to be there 15 minutes early. Maybe they have staff for a daytime private group tour--it's worth contacting them. If it's raining hard, would you still want to go there and walk around? This being said, the weather can change hourly, so it can go from cloudy to sunny throughout the day.

After your tour, you might want to walk around a bit more, and then you'll have to make your way back to the entrance. If I hadn't gone on a guided tour there is no way I could have spotted or recognized all the endemic species living in the sanctuary, especially the tuataras, who are so small and perfectly camouflaged.Figure 1.5 hours to 2 hours at Zealandia. Then you'd have to catch a taxi to your hotel to check in and then make your way to Te Papa, which closes at 6 p.m. except on Thursdays when it closes at 9 p..m. After Te Papa, you could catch a taxi to the Cable Car. Then you could walk or take a taxi to the Night Market. Here are the times for sunrises and sunsets, which will give you an idea of when it will get dark:

http://www.rasnz.org.nz/SRSStimes.shtml

The sights are all relatively close in Wellington so taxis fares shouldn't cost much.

10. Re: zealandia or rainbow springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:20