We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Hire: Abel Tasman National Park

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bike Hire: Abel Tasman National Park

Hi all,

I had jotted down in my itinerary ideas 'bike hire Abel Tasman National Park'... And now I'm searching the net trying to find where I got this idea...

Has anyone done Abel Tasman National park on a bike? If so, who did you hire through? (My husband is a very experienced downhill cyclist- I, however, am amateur! I am sure I read somewhere that there are moderate tracks to ride on! Please help- we plan to head there tomorrow.

Thank you.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike Hire: Abel Tasman National Park

Mountain bikes are NOT allowed on the main Abel Tasman Walking track. That is a definite NO from Marahau to Totaranui. However. there are two places inland where you can bike. The Rameka is from the top of Takaka Hill to the takaka valley and highly rated. The other is gibbs hill.

For more information

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

or just google mountain biking abel tasman

Kaiteriteri has by far the best mountain biking close to Abel Tasman. The MTB park there is awesome with tracks to suit everyone from beginner to advanced.

http://www.kaiteriterimtbpark.org.nz/

Edited: 28 February 2014, 02:23
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike Hire: Abel Tasman National Park

Ah, I think it may be Kaiteriteri beach I was thinking of! Thank you so much.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike Hire: Abel Tasman National Park

You are welcome. I absolutely love the kaiteriteri mountain bike park.

great accommodation nearby at the holiday park, and a swim at the beach afterwards. There are some great track names too easy rider, corkscrew, ziggy, big ears, swamp monster, shady lady, tank, connector, swish and the list goes on. Can keep you amused for hours. Grab a map from the holiday park. Or take a photo at the entrance so you can see where you are on the tracks when exploring.

You can bike all the way back to Nelson on the new great taste cycle trail as well.

but its not really MTB ride.

4. Re: Bike Hire: Abel Tasman National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 07:17