We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or drive between islands?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Fly or drive between islands?

I have 2 weeks in the south island and 1 week in the north island (or three weeks total). It doesn't matter where I fly in, but I'll need to fly out of Auckland.

Which of the below options would be best?

1) Fly into Christchurch, drive a loop around the South Island, then fly to Auckland for a small North Island loop

or

2) Fly into Queenstown, meandering north then taking the ferry to the North Island, ending in Auckland?

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or drive between islands?

Both of these make sense - it just depends which parts of the North Island take your fancy for the week you have....

If you like the sound of the route up through Martinborough, Hawkes Bay, Taupo/Rotorua, Matamata and on to Auckland, or if you fancy Wanganui, Tongariro, National Park, Waitomo, Raglan and on to Auckland, then these are excellent ways to drive from Wellington and a week is a good timescale for these routes.

If you fancy spending time in the Coromandel or Northland, then you are better off flying to Auckland and starting a driving tour from there.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or drive between islands?

No wrong choice - it just depends on what you hope to see in the North island.

Happy planning :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or drive between islands?

If you fly into CHC, in 2 weeks you can do a rushed circuit of almost the whole island and end up in Picton to ferry across to WLG and drive north in 1 week. (I sometimes call this a letter "b"-shaped trip); or a cheaper circuit of the lower half of the SI, returning the car to the same depot in Chch.

If you fly into ZQN, you will have a more leisurely trip doing a small loop around Fiordland & then straight up to Picton, but you must choose between West Coast or Inland route; you can't do both.

As WLnz said, there is no wrong choice.

4. Re: Fly or drive between islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 06:16