We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Days - North and South Island

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
12 Days - North and South Island

I have 12 days to spend in country before I head to Australia. I am hoping to do both the North and South Island. Can someone please suggest what they feel are the essential things to see and do between both islands? Regardless of preference and cost, what do you feel are the essential things to see on both islands that could be included in a 12 day itinerary.

Think of the question as, if you visit NZ, these are the must do's and things one must see.

I don't know anyone who has been to NZ, so I am hoping some locals, or those that have been can make suggestions of the essentials.

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Days - North and South Island

Also, what has your experience been with the weather in mid-October?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Days - North and South Island

1 arrive Auckland, fly to Queenstown

2 explore

3 bus to Milford Sound, cruise, helicopter back to Q'town

4 collect rental car, drive to Wanaka

5 explore - heliflight over Mt Aspiring and local glaciers

6 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook

7 explore - cruise terminal lake with icebergs

8 drive to Chch

9 fly to Rotorua

10 explore

11 drive to Auckland

12 fly out

Oct weather - warm, sunny, blue skies, chilly, spring rain, snow, ice, overnight frosts, grey skies. You certainly won't be bored!

Oct - blossom, lambs and foals frolicking, snow covered mountains, spring flowers..

3. Re: 12 Days - North and South Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:16