We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South Island

Noosa
Level Contributor
98 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
North or South Island

We are planning on visiting New Zealand for the first time in July this year. Unfortunately we will only have 5-7 days. Can someone help with suggestions as to what area we should concentrate on as there are so many attractions, beautiful scenery and things to see.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North or South Island

Fly in/out of Queenstown - the scenery is stunning, the number of activities endless.

Enjoy :)

Noosa
Level Contributor
98 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North or South Island

Queenstown is actually the first place I was thinking of. Any recommendations for accommodation? What is there to do there. Unfortunately neither of us can ski.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North or South Island

I don't ski either.

There are enough Queenstown activities to fill several months.

Why not do some reading and see what appeals to you?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North or South Island

sorry, missed the link queenstownnz.co.nz/information/thingstodo/

Re accommodation - the more you tell us, the better we can help -

budget?

will you have a car?

central Queenstown? - bar noise and possibly expensive parking

or further out of town? - having to drive to town for evening dining

hotel? motel? apartment? B&B?

Noosa
Level Contributor
98 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North or South Island

I want something nice. Would like an open fire to sit by and relax with a good book. Good restaurants close by. Also places of interest to visit each day. Not interested in skiing. Either hire a car or do day trips and walk to places close by. However if we could find a cabin with open fire would be happy to be away from main area and hire a car. Sorry I know this is fairly broad but not knowing the area at all we are open to any suggestions

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North or South Island

You might find a place with enclosed fire or a gas fire - doubt you will find a cabin with open fire.

take a look at wotif http://www.wotif.com/search/results?region=20016&ef_id=Uw65mAAABH6TDP4T%3A20140317193952%3As&cid=SEM-6038&s_kwcid=AL%211912%213%2143992237001%21e%21%21g%21%21wotif+queenstown&country=NZ

Oz
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North or South Island

Hi Wen2go,

Queenstown is much more spread out than Noosa so whilst with careful choice of accommodation you can find somewhere within easy walking distance of the CBD (where most of the shops, bars and restaurants are) that is quite it won't be the "Romanic Idyll" of a cabin in the mountains with a log fire.

Certainly you don't have to have a car as nearly all the activities/attractions run shuttles such as LOTR Tours, Fiordland Tours, Scenic Flights, Hot Air Balooning, The Shotover Jet, Wine Tours, Skippers Canyon, Hacketts etc, etc a car give much more flexibility but be sure you select accommodation with off street parking if near the CBD.

We stay at the Breakfree Water Front Appartments. the areon the shore of the lake adjacent to the wharf where the TSS Earnslaw ties up, are five minutes walk to the Gondola and CBD, quite, off street parking and with a fantastic view over Lake Wakatipu to the Remarkables but are getting a little tired. Central heating but no fire ;-(

Visiting Queenstown in winter and not skiing would be like visiting Noosa in summer and not surfing or swimming!!! With the modern equipment and teaching methods you can be negotiating begiinner slopes in no time. Take a package of gear hire and lessons at Coronet Peak or the Remarkables. I would be surprised if it isn't one of the high lights of your trip and probably the beginning of a life time addiction.

homeforhire.com/…

Cheers,

California
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North or South Island

You might have a bit of difficulty finding a place with a fireplace. A place that caught my eye, but required a 3-night minimum stay, was Historic Stone House: http://www.historicstonehouse.co.nz

We ended up staying here and it was wonderful, about a 10 to 15 minute walk to CBD: www.holidayhouses.co.nz/properties/13633.asp

California
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North or South Island

Thought of another one, and they have either a cottage or apartment with a fireplace: http://www.trelawnb-b.co.nz/rooms.htm

It's located between Queenstown and Arrowtown, so you would need to drive or take the bus to town.

Noosa
Level Contributor
98 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North or South Island

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and links. It is a great help and gives me something to research