We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realistic? Suggestions Please

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Realistic? Suggestions Please

I am heading down to NZ for 14 days in the middle of October through the end of October.

I have several questions:

How is the weather? Should I expect some fresh snow in the SI?

How are the roads? Has most of the snow and ice melted/cleared? Or will that be something I will have to factor in?

Is the train a nice way to get between points? As in, will it allow for some nice views and a relaxing ride?

Right now I am thinking of spending 10 days in the SI and 4 in the NI.

In the SI we would like to see Christchurch, Queenstown, Mt. Cook, Milford Sound, Te Anua, Franz Josef or Fox (which is better?), Lake Wanaka, Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki (ideally all 3, but if time means we only get to see one, which one is best?) and Marlborough to visit some vineyards. Some background, we are willing to take some hikes, but do not want to spend day after day of hiking if that helps in terms of how much time we have to see each place.

As far as laying out the trip, which route would be best that would allow us to see all, or most of the above places? We'll be flying into Auckland from Los Angeles and starting things off in the NI before we fly down to the SI. Given my wishes above, which would be better to fly into? Christchurch, or Queenstown?

Also, we are willing to take an additional flight in the SI to cut down on driving and time since we want to check out Marlborough and Nelson/Blenheim)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realistic? Suggestions Please

as per your earlier threads - to see your wish list for the South island you need more than 10 days.

1 fly to Nelson

2 explore Abel Tasman National Park

3 drive to Blenhein, wine tour

4 drive to Chch

5 drive Arthur's Pass to Punakaiki

6 drive to Franz Josef or Fox

7 explore

8 drive Haast Pass to Wanaka

9 drive to Queenstown

10 explore

11 bus to Milford, cruise, scenic flight to Q'town

12 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook - past Lake Pukaki

13 drive via Tekapo to Chch

14 fly out

It seldom snows on the roads and hardly ever snows in Oct - not impossible, but extremely unlikely. The mountains will still be dazzling in a mantle of snow.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realistic? Suggestions Please

4 days in the North Island will allow a full day unwinding in Auckland (1 night). You could hire a car on day 2 to drive yourselves to Waitomo caves and on to Taupo (1 night). Then Rotorua (2 nights), before flying south from Rotorua airport.

3. Re: Realistic? Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 06:16