We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into New Zealand with gift food

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into New Zealand with gift food

We are visiting new relatives (by recent marriage) in Auckland in a number of months and would like to bring some gifts unique to Minnesota. It is a much-anticipated first trip to New Zealand. It seems that many agricultural items are not allowed. We are thinking of commercially packaged candy, maple syrup, maple candy, and cereal; wild rice (often packed in a sealed bag by a local Native American tribe), and commercially bottled wine or spirits. We would declare everything but I hate to bring something likely to be confiscated. Any help would be appreciated.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into New Zealand with gift food

Yep, New Zealand takes biosecurity very seriously, for good reasons.

I'd contact them directly and ask your questions - and maybe describe in detail what's described on the packaging. Other posters have reported that they're generally pretty prompt at responding (i.e., often within a day or so):

enquiry@maf.govt.nz

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into New Zealand with gift food

Your proposed gift for your new relatives is a lovely idea, and I'm sure they will appreciate it. I'm sure that you will be able to find some unique Minnesota food items that will meet biosecurity requirements.

Commercially packaged wine and spirits are fine, although there is a maximum duty free allowance. Of the other items, commercially packaged candy will almost certainly be fine. The cereal might be of interest to biosecurity if it contains nuts and seeds, likewise the wild rice, if they consider it a seed. Best to check through official sources to be certain.

I regularly buy food items to bring back with me, and always declare them. The only item that was ever scrutinised closely was a packet of vanilla pods. I have brought in candy, cookies, coffee, tea, dried fruit, nuts, jams and other items, and all have passed inspection.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,349 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into New Zealand with gift food

I agree with Selsy as I am a frequent traveller - candy & maple syrup should be fine. Most commercially packaged foodstuffs are OK but must all be declared. Best to have them packed right on top in case you are asked to show them to the MPI officer. Wine & Spirits fall under a different category, but the limit is a generous 3L of spirits duty-free plus wine. Over the limit will not be confiscated but you will have to pay excise.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,633 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into New Zealand with gift food

I have also brought in wild-flower seeds (commercially packaged) and cedar pods from a Native American tribe (not CP) which were inspected and passed.

Best of luck :)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into New Zealand with gift food

Don't bring anything that contain honey in ingredient. Recently, hubby brought back coconut jam from Singapore and was confiscated. Unfortunately, the brand he bought contained honey.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into New Zealand with gift food

Honey, eggs, raw meat are a definite no no. Commercially prepared products with contents labelled on the packet are generally okay. Much of our food is imported so foreign delicacies are not an uncommon item for our Bio Security people. Any seeds, grains, meat products which you may have prepared yourself will most likely be confiscated. How the wild rice is prepared and packaged may create a problem. If it is not commercially prepared in properly sealed and labelled packaging then you may strike problems. One is allowed a maximum of 3 x 1125ml bottles of spirits and 6 x 750ml bottles of wine per person aged over 18. The amounts of liquid are not accumulative ie if you bring in 3 x 750 ml bottles of spirits then that is your allowance. The rules were changed some years ago. If doubt and you have time contact the Bio security people before you leave home and definitely declare everything

7. Re: Flying into New Zealand with gift food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:15