We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unfortunate trip cancellation

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Unfortunate trip cancellation

My husband and I were supposed to be visiting the South Island this week and next week for our first time there. Unfortunately 5 days before we were to leave my husband was in a serious ski accident and hospitalized with surgery. He will heal but sadly we had to cancel out trip. We are heartbroken to say the least and I am in the midst of filing claims with the trip insurance that we had purchased.

I had a wonderful travel agent in New Zealand that put a lot of time and effort into planning our incredible trip. I feel so badly that due to our necessary cancellation, she was greatly impacted also. I would like to do or send something to her to at least thank her for her efforts. I hope that we can one day reschedule and we will certainly have her handle our trip, however, it won't be anytime soon. I was hoping that someone could share some ideas of what I could do for her, especially locals who may have an idea of something special. Thank you VERY much for any input.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unfortunate trip cancellation

A bouquet of flowers, either through the Internet of Interflora, is usually appreciated by recipients.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unfortunate trip cancellation

There are numerous companies that do gift baskets or hampers as well as/instead of flowers but as Valgee says, you can't go wrong with flowers.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unfortunate trip cancellation

What a lovely thought - and how disappointing to have to postpone your visit.

A gift certificate for a spa treatment is always a welcome surprise. Simply contact a day spa in the agent's home city.

Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery :)

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unfortunate trip cancellation

Thank you for your suggestions. My first thought was flowers also. A spa certificate is always nice too…I would sure love one right now. :)

I think the agency is located in Auckland but since we have only been communication via email I'm not sure where she is located in New Zealand.

Thank you also for the well wishes!

5. Re: Unfortunate trip cancellation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:15