We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand Trip Pointers

massp88
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Zealand Trip Pointers

I am going to have 9 full days in the South Island to explore and am hoping to get some feedback on the things I would like to see and how likely you think it is that I could fit them all in. I'd be willing to take a plane within the island, or the train if it cuts down on travel times.

As far as what I want to see:

Mt. Cook

Christchurch

Milford Sound

Lake Wanaka, Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki

Queenstown

Te Anua

Kaikoura

Blenheim/Nelson (wineries)

Fox or Franz Josef

Abel Tasman

Not looking to spend day after day trekking through the countryside. I would like to do some hikes, but would also like to see as much as I can.

Given the time I have, how much of this is reasonable to fit in? What would be the first two or three things you would cut out?

Would it make most sense to fly from Auckland to Queenstown and start from there? Head down to Te Anua and Milford before heading back up towards Christchurch?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

Welcome to the forum :)

You can fit your wish list into an 18 day visit, not 9 days.

1 arrive Queenstown

2 explore

3 bus to Milford Sound, cruise, bus to Queenstown - 13 hour tour

4 wine tour Gibbston Valley and Bannockburn

5 drive to Wanaka

6 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

7 drive to Chch

8 drive to Kaikoura

9 drive back to Chch, fly out

massp88
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

I was thinking about doing the Hooker Valley walk at Mt. Cook? Good idea? Or is there another walk that is better?

Is Te Anua worth the trip? Or it better to spend more time in Queenstown and bypass it on the way to Milford?

Also, what area of Auckland would be best to stay?

massp88
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

Also, is Google maps a good guide for travel distances?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

It's Te Anau.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,608 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

We do not recommend Google maps as they are notoriously unreliable in Nz. I suggest you try AAmaps.co.nz.

WLnz has given you a workable itinerary and you'll note you don't have time for Te Anau as a stopover. On her itinerary you should get half a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook on day 5 & 2-3 hours on day 6, so yes, if the wetaher is kind, you could do the Hooker Valley walk ( around 3-4 hours to the lake & back, but you can turn round at any time to suit).

massp88
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

Thanks for the tip on Google maps.

In your experience, how is the weather in and around Mt. Cook in the mid to late October?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

At Aoraki you might get sunshine, rain, cloud... possibly all 3 on the one day.

The village is in a low valley - there is no extreme weather to worry about.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

For such a short stay base yourself in Queenstown. From there explore Glenorchy Arrowtown and a day trip to Milford Sound. Then head up the west coast via Wanaka and explore Mt Cook with plane or Heli from the Franz Joesph or Fox area.

9. Re: New Zealand Trip Pointers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:15