We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal destination and order of travel

London, United...
Level Contributor
761 posts
Save Topic
Internal destination and order of travel

Hello,

Im from UK and planning my trip to NZ between September and November this year.

I'm a solo traveller and not using self drive, so relying on flights or other forms of transport.

I wish to travel from Rotorua to the following locations:

Westland National Park Region to see

Franz Joseph -day trip

Fox Glacier - Day trip

Mt Cook/Village - Day trip

Queenstown Or Fiordland/Te Anau to see

Wanak/ Mount Aspring region - Day trip

Milford Sound - day trip

Doubtful Sound - da trip

If someone can kindly advise on best order of going to these destinations and how to get there please?

I could not find flights from Rotura to Westland National park region.

London, United...
Level Contributor
761 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

Ah ok now I understand, flights from Rotorua to Queenstown is approx 2.5 hrs

From Queenstown to Te Anau only coaches, but cant find time tables for direct routes. There some tours to Milford etc which takes 12 hrs from Queenstown

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,105 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

It is very easy to lookup - simply type in the two towns in the search engine for Intercity & you will see that there a coach every morning:

intercity.co.nz/travel-info/…ZQN

However I don't know why you want to go to Te Anau with the short time you have available.

London, United...
Level Contributor
761 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

I know the time I have is short, but need to get the best I can get while im out there. There is some flexibility in time spent so still planning things out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
761 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

Checked coaches.

Fly in to AKLD from Australia Melborne - So 2 days Auckland - local sight seeing

Fly to Rotura that 1 day for travel

1 day Rotorua - Vlocanic vally, Thermal Wonderland+ evening show with dinner

fly from Roturua AM to Queenstown PM that will be 1 day for travel _overnight stay in Queenstown

from Queenstown AM get a coach to Te Anau that will be 1 day for travel

From Te Anau do a one day tour or Milford sound

From Te Anau do a one day tour of doubtfull sound

From Te Anau coach to Queenstown then fly to Auckland for late flight back to uk so that 1 whole day

So in total so far I have used 9 days is the above travel times correct?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

Why not bus to Rotorua? By the time you get to the airport etc, the bus will be as quick as the flight and you will actually get to see some scenery.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,105 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

It seems a pity to spend 3 of your 9 days in Te Anau. Most DEs recommend that you pick one fiord only and do something totally different with the other day. The beauty of NZ is in its diversity. As I suggested earlier, you would save a whole day if you took the bus straight through from QTN to Milford Sound rather than filling in 24 hr wandering aimlessly round Te Anau. It helps if you number your days like this:

1. Arr Akl; explore

2. explore

3. Coach to Rotorua (perhaps via Waitomo Caves)

4. Wai-o-tapu and or whakarewa thermal Parks; Maori Cultural show in the evening;

5. Fly to ZQN (Queenstown)

6. Explore QTN

7. All day coach to Te Anau/Milford Sound. If you really want to do both fiords, get off the bus at Te Anau on the return journey.

8. Doubtful Sound tour & Return to QTN or alternative in QTN (eg LOTR tour to Glenorchy; Dart Rver Safari; TSS Earnslaw cruise to Walter peak Station);

9. Fly home.

London, United...
Level Contributor
761 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

Never knew the bus to Roturua would be same as flight time, guess it would be cheaper.

The reason for seeing both Fiords is that I like photographing scenary that I will never get a chance to see.

Iits a real shame I can not see Fox Glacier or some how squeez that in. I have 10 working days off + weekends so there may be a chance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

well, any itinerary which skips Wanaka - even though driving right through it - needs improving :)

19. Re: Internal destination and order of travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2016, 05:16