We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nz from Uk where to stop

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nz from Uk where to stop

As per title traveling from uk to nz, want a stop over for a few nights, where to stop? Been looking at lax, or hong kong but is there any where else? Not Singapore thought already been

Many thanks

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

We have only been to NZ once and loved our stop in Singapore but if you do not want to go there how about Dubai. We spent a holiday there and thought t was a great city ( even though we do not usually like cities!)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

Dpends on the airline you travel with as they have different routes and options. However, popular stopovers include LA (and Disneyland), Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore. From NZ I believe there are direct flights to Shangai, Vancover, San Francisco, Tokyo with Air NZ so if there are direct flights from UK to these places with Air NZ or alliance airline then they may also be an option.

Check this Air nz route map airnztravelagent.com/sites/…20032114.pdf

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

I flew Virgin to Shanghai on way to Nz and back via Tokyo with Air NZ taking me to NZ.

Both places and experience but roughly half way so that helps.

Shanghai don't stay longer than 72 hours as need visa which with admin cost me £120 and also about 2 nights is enough to people watch.(with visa requirements please check yourself!!)

Tokyo again interesting very busy and great food!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,565 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

Hong Kong is a great place for a layover - flying Cathay Pacific or Virgin/ Air NZ.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

Seoul flying Korean Air. Spent 2 days there in 2012. Loved the city and the airline.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

Hi

Hong Kong is certainly a good place for a stopover as others have said.

Personally, I would avoid LAX unless you particularly want to go to Disneyland.

Have you thought about San Francisco or Vancouver? AirNZ flies from both places to Auckland and you could get flights from London on other Star Alliance carriers to either of those places. Either is a great place for a stopover.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

I have travelled NZ-UK many times. Favourite stopover has been Hong Kong. Very very easy to get around, lots to do and love the cultural difference. It's very compact so get a hotel on Nathan Rd in Kowloon and you can walk to lots of things. English is widely spoken so no problems! I would also avoid LA unless you wanted to do Disneyland, Universal Studios etc.... Never felt really safe there and it's very spread out so harder to get around. I would like to visit San Fransisco or Vancouver though. Different airlines use different stopover destinations so I guess that might narrow your choices a bit!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

Personally I avoid flying through the USA like the plague. Delays and bumping are legendary, and the security is a real pain.

I like Hong Kong. KL and Bangkok are also convenient stops and are cheaper, but I'd avoid Bangkok at the moment because of the demonstrations.Singapore is very convenient and comfortable but not as interesting IMO.

9. Re: Nz from Uk where to stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:16