We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Link to our trip report

California
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Link to our trip report

This is rather belated, but we finally got our blog posts with pictures up. It was our 3rd trip to New Zealand and we concentrated on the south end of South Island. Each page is a day's report (except page 1), so click on the "continue" link at the end for subsequent posts.

Areas visited were Queenstown, Fiordland, Catlins, Wanaka, and Mount Cook. There might be brief mention of where we stayed and I posted reviews for our accommodation and activities in the TA review section if interested.

Enjoy!

fmsreliability.com/adventures/…

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Link to our trip report

What a fabulous report, deS! It is a cold wet day in Chch so I read the entire thing. You've been to places I haven't even heard about. Clearly I need another holiday in my own country!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Link to our trip report

A great read thanks DeS - and stunning photos!

I agree with you about the Tasman glacier being ugly. I did a boat cruise there between massive icebergs when the lake was little more than a puddle - sadly the glacier has shrunk significantly.

And sorry, but I can't agree with you on Jimmy's Pies - nope, they aren't the Cadillac of pies - they are the Rolls Royce, the gold standard of pies!

So what's on your wish list for your next visit?

California
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Link to our trip report

Oh good heavens! I'll change"Cadillac" to "Rolls Royce" without delay!

4th trip (isn't if funny how the $ sign is on the same key as 4!) is already in the making. We're calling it "Loose ends" or "End to End". There are two internal flights and 3 one-way car rentals. But we'll catch up on many sights we feel we slighted ourselves on in previous trips. This time we've set aside 3 weeks instead of our usual 2.

Your country is addictive. We haven't found a 12-step program for it, so we're rolling with it.

6 days Northland, fly to Nelson and head for 2 days Golden Bay. Then 2 days on QCT, ferry to Wellington and set aside some time for Martinborough. Then fly to Stewart Island for 2 nights and then Glenorchy for 3.

Not the usual tourist loops. We've scoped out our options for boutique chocolate shops and wineries in most areas. And some lovely hikes!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Link to our trip report

Hi,

What a fantastic trip report!!!

When we last visited Aoraki Mt Cook it was August 2013 and the weather was constantly changing from socked in to clear with everything in between. When we reached the lookout over the terminal lake of the Tasman Glacier the quality of light was such that the mountains were barely visible to less than 20 metres vis. When just for a fleeting moment the sun came out and bathed the lake in winters light contrasting with the grey schist on the glacier and tops of the icebergs. The contrast was magic but fleeting. Still the brooding majesty of the mountains is unique and whilst totally different inspires awe in myself as does Uluru in Oz and Yosemite in the USA. Middle Earth?

Cheers,

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Link to our trip report

I just loved reading your blog.It made me so nostalgic,thinking back to our third trip just a few months back.We went to so many of the same places as you---did the helicopter flight over the sounds with two landings,stayed at Nugget Lodge and Aoraki Court Motel,I felt that I was re-living our visit.

NZ certainly gets under your skin doesn't it? We intend to return for a fourth visit but probably not until 2016 or possibly 2017 when we can stay for at least six weeks.

Istanbul and France are planned for this year.

6. Re: Link to our trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:16