We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for itinerary around NZ

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Need advice for itinerary around NZ

Hi :)

I am planning to travel solo to NZ from end May to early June. I am hoping to do some farmstays, immerse myself in the local culture and also to squeeze in a bit of adventure sports. Any recommendations on which part of NZ that are perfect and is a week sufficient?

For transportation, besides a car, are there any good alternatives to get around? Intending to stay with a local family/youth hostels too.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,911 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for itinerary around NZ

Welcome to the NZ Forum. One week is a very short time for a whole country. It is barely enough to see a bit of one island. Which airport do you fly into? If you want to do adventure activities you should spend most of your time around Queenstown. If you fly into CHC you could perhaps find a farmstay somewhere in Canterbury for a dya or two, but as it is wintertime there might not be much happening on the farm.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Canterbury Region
Canterbury Region
South Island, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,445 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for itinerary around NZ

Rotorua in the thermal region would be a very good area to choose. This city is 3 hours from Auckland, has a regional airport and is on a number of bus routes including Intercity coachline. Easy drive from Auckland.

Farmstays around Rotorua area and youth hostels/backpackers in the city. Plenty to do including thermal parks, kayaking, bush and stream walks, strong Maori culture and history. Taupo is an hour's drive away. Bay of Plenty coastline including Whakatane and Mt Maunganui are accessible too.

Beyond Rotorua and Taupo and the Bay of Plenty region you won't have time to explore far in a week. But there are plenty of attractions in the area to keep you busy. Early June is the onset of winter, bring warm gear and sturdy footwear.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Bay of Plenty Region
Bay of Plenty Region
Whakatane
Whakatane
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Mount Maunganui
Mount Maunganui
Tauranga, New Zealand
Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for itinerary around NZ

Hi,

Rotorua would be a good North Island base with cultural activities and great mountain biking, rafting, zip lining and other adventure activities available. Good range of thermal trips available on foot, by air and boat (possible to visit White Island from here).

You could also shoot across to Waitomo and overnight before returning to Auckland. In addition to the 45 minute scenic glow worm cave trip, there are a range of black water rafting and abseiling trips available. Call in at Hobbiton on the way back to Auckland or visit from Rotorua. There is also the option of a farmstay in the Matamata area, near Hobbiton.

Alternatively, wrap up warm and base yourself in Queenstown, our adventure capital, and explore that area. In addition to the huge range of adventure activities, take trips to Te Anau glowworm caves, Doubtful Sound or Milford Sound (recommend travel by coach due possible ice/snow conditions) and Wanaka. Also a great spot for winter wine tours!

Rotorua and Queenstown have the full range of accommodation and coach transport is available between all points mentioned if you don't want to drive.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
White Island Tours
White Island Tours
905 Reviews
Whakatane, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Hobbiton Movie Set Tours
Hobbiton Movie Set Tours
6,961 Reviews
Hinuera, New Zealand
Matamata
Matamata
Waikato Region, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,671 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Wanaka
Wanaka
Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for itinerary around NZ

Hi zhuhai2007, thanks. I have decided to extend my trip to about a month or even two. Haven't booked my return tickets yet but I sure know I will be spending quite some time there as I do more of my research :P anyway, I will be flying into Auckland and will be travelling down South. Might end at Queenstown for some adventure sports before I fly back home. And yes, for farmstays, I found some in Matamata, will probably stay there as I will be doing the Hobbit tour. If I can't find a farmstay then will be heading to Canterbury to do it (am going for the Aorkai ballooning as well). Will there really be not much to do in the farm if it's just the start of June? Really hope I get to do/see some stuff.. :/

Hi Frangipani08, yes, I am heading to Rotorua for some mudbath and thermal springs etc.. :D was wondering if you know there are any discounts for backpackers if we travel on Intercity Coach? I read on their website, "Backpacker discounts are available on selected services only. Backpacker discounts do not apply to InterCity transport passes or tours." Have you had any discounts yourself? And yes, thanks, it's my first time experiencing winter....I am going to pack some warm gear! :)

Hi BlackSheepNZ, I will probably be staying in a farm in Matamata like what you suggested :) have you stayed in a farm there before? Any one that you would recommend too? :) For adventure sports, I found something called the SkyCity in Auckland. I am planning to do that after I fly into Auckland and I am definitely heading to Queenstown to do some skydiving or bungee etc...before I head back home. Probably gonna start and end my trip with a bang. Hahaha :)))))

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Queenstown
Queenstown
Matamata
Matamata
Waikato Region, New Zealand
Canterbury Region
Canterbury Region
South Island, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
SKYCITY Hotel
SKYCITY Hotel
2,115 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,911 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for itinerary around NZ

That is good news, Maeve, but you still need to plan how you are going to travel from one end of the country to the other. If you are young & adventurous, you might find one of the Hop-on-hop-off bus passes like Stray would suit you best as you can make friends and they help you find accommodation too. If you use Intercity or Naked Bus you would need to find out how to get from the bus stop to the farmstay. Remember that most bus routes in NZ operate once per day only.

6. Re: Need advice for itinerary around NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 06:17