We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Cook Strait at night

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the Cook Strait at night

I've been to NZ more than a dozen times, but have yet to take the ferry between islands.

I just learned that there's a night time crossing with sleeper units available.

I'm curious if anyone here has done this, and if it's something you'd suggest for tourists who've not made the crossing before...OR if one would really be missing out scenery-wise by crossing at night.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the Cook Strait at night

It could be spectacular crossing during a full moon, but in most cases you really want to do it during the day to see the scenery. Plus the crossing only takes 3 hours, so if you try to sleep aboard you would be in for a interrupted sleep.

I would also note that the night sailings are mostly freight only.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,181 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the Cook Strait at night

Bluebridge does offer a deal where you can book a cabin for the 2:30 am sailing & go onboard at midnight. The ferry arrives at 6am. But my question would be - why do you think this would be sensible for a first time visitor? You are missing all the scenery. If you are in a hurry, flying is cheaper & quicker.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,816 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the Cook Strait at night

It is a fantastic trip through the cook strait and would be a shame to say done it, but never saw it.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the Cook Strait at night

You will be missing the scenery if you travel at night. You will, however, see Wellington's lights if you are still up at 2am but that kind of beats the idea of having a cabin to sleep in. Bluebridge allow passengers to board between 11pm and 11:30pm for their Sleeper Service between Wellington and Picton.

It is a great trip and personally I would recommend a first-timer to do it during daylight.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the Cook Strait at night

If you have taken a ferry anywhere, you will know the high level of noise created by trucks and cargo being loaded, passengers banging doors etc. So while you might be in the cabin by 11:30pm, don't expect to be able to get any sleep before you leave the terminal. And you will be woken an hour before berthing - so in effect you do the crossing having missed all the scenery and, at most, with just 2 hours sleep.

And as we harp on here on the forum - driving while sleep deprived is not smart travel planning.

Please stay safe Mel :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the Cook Strait at night

Good points, thanks.

<And as we harp on here on the forum - driving while sleep deprived is not smart travel planning.>

I harp the same myself, no worries there.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 06:36
7. Re: Crossing the Cook Strait at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17