We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

Hi, I will be flying from Singapore to NZ by July/Aug 2014 but I only have 9 days in total and I want to maximize my stay by visit the north and south islands. I know it is quite impossible but my goal is to arrive in either Auckland or Christchurch then travel by land either downward or upward then flight back to Singapore from the other end (AKL or CHC). Activity wise,i just want to take a bus and see some important landmarks in Auckland,Wellington, and focusing the available time in the South like a day of skiing,a bungee jump,a visit to the middle earth set and a glacier tour if possible. Thanks!

Milford Sound BBQ Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Monarch Wildlife Cruises & Tours
Boat Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Art Deco Trust
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Auckland Scenic Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
876 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

Its possible... but would be rushed. Here are a few examples of tour companies which do provide 9 day itineraries. I know nothing about the quality of the tours.... Just providing them for a example.

…rtrk.co.nz/majestic-new-zealand

straytravel.com/explore-your-pass-options/…

scenicpacific.co.nz/pt_ih_tours/9-day-new-ze…

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

Hi :)

I think a tour which covers both islands in 9 days would be at lightening speed, with no time to really enjoy anything. Plus would you have a day free to ski?

The best of the South Island - and the skiing and most LOTR locations - are south of Christchurch.

I suggest you look for a tour which covers just one island - have you enquired at your local travel agency?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

An alternative to a tour is to put together your own itinerary using Intercity or Greatsights coaches:

Www.intercity.co.nz

If you were to take a coach from AKL to Rotorua (2N) , then fly to Chch and coach to Mt Cook (2N) & Queenstown; then spend the last 3 or so days in QTN you could see a bit before flying back to CHC.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 12:04
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

Hi thanks for your response and will look into the sites that you have shared!

Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

Hi Nelson,thanks for that advise, it will help me in planning my itinerary, but i wont go to a tour package, i want to do it by myself.

6. Re: 9 days New Zealand bus tour covering north & south island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:17