We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

odt.co.nz/regions/otago/302646/call-charge-t…

It mentions charging tourists but I suspect it means locals also pay.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

Under legislation there can be no fee for National Parks. Services used or private facilities in the parks can charge. So if you want to do a day walk on the abel tasman, heapy, routeburn, kepler or do the tongariro crossing you can continue without charge.

simlarly you can use your own canoe and canoe the wonderful whanganui river - a NZ great walk.

and the only expenses charged are campfees if you stay overnight!

However, I do believe small charges are appropriate for many places to cover maintenance, rubbish collection, road upgrades and many other things. User pays is not unreasonable.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 00:24
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

<<Under legislation there can be no fee for National Parks.>>

Under current legislation yes, however if you read the article you will see things might soon change.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

WLNZ I actually support the idea. I use our local National Parks very very frequently and would like to see charges to use them. Would be nice to have annual use tickets for nz residents and frequent users, and a locals rate. At present U18 can camp in tents for free and it would be great to continue to make it free for them.

However, I have seen so many boaties on the Abel Tasman pull up on a beach, unload truckloads of gear, set up on the steps and tables and leave no room for others. Similarly, they leave late afternoon and we clean up and walk out with the rubbish they leave behind.

The tongaririo crossing is another example. It is a huge cost to maintain. I dont have a problem everyone paying to walk it. And if it means the money is put back into DOC and maintaining the parks, tracks, huts and other facilities I really think it a great idea.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

I think there should be a small charge.I would have gladly paid a few dollars to park and visit the Nugget Point Lighthouse.

I have to pay to park in my local forest if I wish to walk there.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,608 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

Apart from the fact that I don't agree with charges for National Parks - who would police it? Every time I go tramping we find visitors who haven't paid hut fees and refuse to pay them as long as there is no ranger present. Last weekend the Broken River campsite was full of tents & campervans and only one tent was displaying a ticket.

I was shocked at the price of parking at monuments & heritage sites in the UK - £4 for 5 min at Lands End only to find that everything was closed. Blue Mountains City in NSW operates parking meters around the popular viewpoints as they got sick of emptying rubbish bins & cleaning toilets for thousands of visitors a day, but I would rather DoC employed rangers than parking wardens.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

I know a few people who work for DOC and typically rangers are not expected to check if hut fees are paid. Hut wardens are expected to check but not the average doc worker.

If they do introduce a charge it would not be a small amount. It might start as a small amount, but then they need to increase that small amount just to cover administration costs and it would balloon from there.

It might also start of with only being for tourists, but then it would only be a matter of time before everyone is expected to pay.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

I've always wondered how NZ maintains it's parks to such a high standard w/o charging fees (taxes I guess).

As a frequent visitor to NZ I'd have no problem paying for some kind of National Parks Pass. I donate whenever there's a donation box, but I'm sure many people walk right on by.

I have to admit though, I got annoyed when they (whomever 'they' is) began charging to access the Buller Gorge swing bridge near Murchinson and turned it into an attraction. That just torques my jaw.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

Most of DOC funding is straight from the tax payers, in year-ending June 2009, DOC collected just under $1.3 million in standard hut ticket revenue and $3.9 million through the booking system (Great Walk huts and a few others). Expenditure on "huts" for the same year was $16.5 million. So even the fee for huts does not even come close to pay for their upkeep.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

National Park entry fees? Really?? How much do tourists pump into the economy every year? Personaly, we spend on average $7,000 for a 2 week trip when we visit. Work out visitor numbers and do the math. Another greedy grab by local councils.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entry Fees to our National Parks and Scenic Wonders?

Actually there are a large number of tourists who spend only on food and petrol in NZ kiliflower. Often help and talk to tourists who shop only at supermarkets and get petrol and stay at free camping areas then access all the free nz parks. Particularly common where I live and three National Parks only a stone throw away. In fact local restaurants downsizing and closing, yet we a tourist destination.