We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

Hello NZ forum!

I just signed up for a photography workshop in Queenstown next April (2015). Workshop is only 5 days, I am not traveling from New York to New Zealand for just five days so I am looking for suggestions of options/locations may be best for adding locations for my holiday for up to three weeks including travel time.

I started looking into flights, I see Air New Zealand flies from Hawaii so that could be a couple days as I have visited Hawaii several times and am planning a trip to Kauai and The Big Island for late 2015. I was also thinking of a few days in Sydney, Australia perhaps on the way there and flying Qantas. Is there a favored option for flights?

I realize this is a pretty open question, thanks for your replies.

California
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

I realize this is the New Zealand forum and perhaps a bit biased, but why not spend the entire 3 weeks in New Zealand? 3 weeks is a good amount of time to explore South Island alone! I don't see the sense in losing days hustling to airports just to fly to the next country.

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

In my research for my upcoming trip (I am going to be visiting both New Zealand and Australia), I found that Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia, Qantas and Jetstar (an LCC of Qantas) all offer non-stop flight between the two countries. When you factor in the time difference and the actual flight time, you would not be wasting a day going from NZ to Australia. You can easily find a late afternoon, or early evening flight from say Auckland to Sydney. Then you can fly home from Sydney, or wherever you are in the country.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,913 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

I'm sure you have already thought about what you would like to see in NZ, but I suggest you read some of the itineraries other travellers have posted here to see where you could go in 2-3 weeks. With a few domestic flights you could include the highlights of both islands. Do you want to do adventure activities or just photograph scenery? Would you rent a car?

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

I love photography and that would be the main point of my travels. I am sure I could easily spend a month in each country but with 3 weeks my first idea is to fly to Sydney 4-6 days in advance of the workshop to acclimate to the time difference and see a bit of Sydney then head over to NZ. Flying from NY is at least 2 stops to Sydney, probably 3 or 4 to Queenstown if I was to fly direct from NY. I just signed up for the workshop yesterday I am in early planning stage, I have plenty of time but I am just working out some logistics and get a feel for what others have done in terms of traveling to/from there. I have traveled to Europe many times and Asia a few. I will probably stay in NZ for a week after the workshop hopefully traveling with some others who are there for it.

I will have a car in NZ for the time I am not in the workshop. Thanks again.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

I've looked over a few itineraries and I may just choose South Island for this trip with a little over 2 weeks there and possible the remainder in Sydney at the start of the trip. I have started looking at flights it seems that if I search for complete flight from NY to Queens town I get prices up to $10,000 USD economy and travel time of 33-50 hours each way. But if I just look for a flight JFK to Sydney I get as low as $1700 economy $1900 premium economy or $9000 business with flight time of 22 hours. Then a RT to Christchurch or Queensland seems to be around $600-$700. I may use so points from credit cards if I decide to go business class on the long haul flights. What routes are favored by people traveling from the US to NZ?

Thanks again.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

Ooops meant Queenstown in my post above. Another option that looks good is Air New Zealand from LAX I can get from NY to LAX using my miles. If I did that I would do both North and South Islands and save Sydney for a proper trip to Australia.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

compulady. I would suggest you do LAX to auckland and spend the time in NZ and then see Sydney when you do Australia next time.

To travel between Australia and NZ is basically a days travel when you allow time to get to airport, 2 hour check in before hand for immigration and security, and then the same at the other end after a 3 hour flight.

There is plenty to see and do in NZ in 3 weeks.

8. Re: Please help with my currently open plans for New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:16