We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

Looking for some advice on where flights from New York to New Zealand and Australia and hotel recommendations.

We are planning our honeymoon leaving around 9/17/14-10/4/14

Hotel's in Sydney & Cairns- Australia should we visit Whitsunday Islands? If yes what Island is best?

Hotel's New Zealand- Thinking of staying near Auckland & maybe Hawkes Bay- open to other places tov visit in the area.

Advice desperately needed for booking flights- having trouble finding flights from new York to New Zealand that is a shorter than our flight home from Australia.

Looking for a mix for the hotels some really nice (since it's our honeymoon) and some good.

Thank you

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,054 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

Welcome to TA. Looks like you have only 2 weeks for 2 countries! What are your interests? What made you choose AKL & Hawkes Bay over any tourist destination in NZ? Would you consider flying to another NZ destination? Wouldn't it be more relaxing to just visit one country this trip?

No airline flies directly from NYC to AKL so you need to look into JFK to LAX and then AirNZ to AKL, or JFK to Hawaii & then Hawaiian Airlines to AKL etc. A return JFK-AKL and then a separate AKL-SYD-CNS-AKL ticket might be cheaper/easier.

California
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

Air New Zealand also flies direct SFO-AKL, so that's something to consider too.

I know it's yet another connection to get there, but if you only have the time to explore one area of New Zealand, you should fly into Queenstown. Auckland is a large city, like many other large cities in the world. Queenstown is a small town in the Southern Alps, the landscapes are much more dramatic there.

And an FYI, they post their dates DD/MM/YY, so beware when writing your dates as you have.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

You can fly direct to Queenstown from Sydney, and that is what I would do.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

Thank you for the quick response and recommendations.

Queenstown is where I wanted to go to, but my fiancé thought that Auckland and Hawkes Bay would be better area to visit.

I know we are limited with our time, but I do want to experience as much as we can, originally the trip was going to have 2 more city stops in Australia but we excluded them so that we have enough time to relax and enjoy. I'm hoping that 1 week in each country and 2 stops per country would reasonable. With out taking travel time out we will have a total of 18 days for the trip from start to finish.

Flights: I thought that the flight to NZ would be a shorter flight then to Australia but all the flights I have seen have been so much longer to NZ than to Australia- is that correct when traveling from NY with a transfer in California?

Any Hotel recommendations in Cairns & Sydney area?

Any City and Hotel recommendations for Queenstown area?

We enjoy hiking, exploring nature, sampling local foods & wines, we prefer the non-tourist travel itinerary. We want a local travel experience:)

California
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

>>>Flights: I thought that the flight to NZ would be a shorter flight then to Australia but all the flights I have seen have been so much longer to NZ than to Australia- is that correct when traveling from NY with a transfer in California?

??? You can fly nonstop LAX-AKL and the duration is 13 hours. Nonstop LAX-SYD is almost 15 hours. It must be the layover in CA that is longer, or possible routing which is not as direct.

So now you are asking about hotels in Queenstown - or is that a typo?

Boston...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

A flight from Los Angeles, or San Francisco to Auckland is shorter than a flight from those two cities to Sydney, or Brisbane.

As mentioned, there are only two cities on the mainland USA that offer non-stop flights to Auckland; San Francisco and Los Angeles. So if you live near JFK, or EWR, you can easily get down to New Zealand with only making one stop since both JFK and have non-stop flights to SFO and LAX on United. United is in the same alliance as Air New Zealand so United will carry you on your first leg.

I too am doing a trip down to both New Zealand and Australia. I have 20 days so I am doing 14 in NZ and 6 in Australia. It also means I have to cut out some thing, especially in Australia. But I don't have the luxury of having 7-8 weeks at once where I could really see all of both NZ and Australia.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 19:16
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

I would start the trip in Cairns, otherwise you will be getting into stinger season, and temperatures will be more pleasant going in that order too. edutopia.org/blog/classroom-makerspaces-tran…

Cairns - Sydney - Queenstown - Auckland would be my suggested route. Hire a car while in Queenstown but you don't need one in the other locations.

From Cairns I would do a couple of days relaxing at a nice resort in Port Douglas (relax, get over jet-lag, and celebrate being on honeymoon!) and then do a reef trip. In Sydney stay in the CBD and explore the city. Use the ferries and the explorer buses to get around. From Queenstown, take day trips in the hire car for sightseeing, hiking, picnics, etc. For winery visits a cycle tour would be nice, eg Cycle de Vine: www.queenstown-trails.co.nz/tours-1.aspx If you fancy a quieter spot to stay than Queenstown, Arrowtown is pretty, quiet in the evenings, and has some excellent restaurants. From Auckland a day trip to Waiheke Island would be a good choice.

If you like hiking Napier is nothing on the Queenstown/Glenorchy/Wanaka area, and there are great wineries around the Queenstown area too.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 09:40
8. Re: Honeymoon to New Zealand & Australia in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16