We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

We are a family of four and are very experienced world travellers. Our trips are always taken around mid December til the end of January i.e. up to 6 weeks. Our last trip was in Uganda and Tanzania and included climbing Kilimanjaro, Gorilla and Chimp trekking, snorkelling with whale sharks etc...

We were in Nepal the year before and saw much of the country. We did the Annapurna Sanctuary in winter, rafted and camped.

This year we are very undecided. Have been looking at India, Costa Rica etc. Bingo what about our neighbour New Zealand that we have never been to!

My family consists of my wife and I as well as two girls that will be 16 and 17 at the time of travel. We love some adventurous travel followed by some relaxing somewhere warm and luxurious before going home.

What we would like:

1. We would like to see some of the classic tourist attractions

2. Spend some time trekking, possible rafting and generally being active.

We love walking!

3. Accommodation - we would love a mix- some camping or huts while trekking and some luxury.

4. Try to see some things away from the crowds of tourists.

5. We love also love food.

6. We have a flexible budget but are after a quality trip that provides good value for the money spent.

Any thoughts? This may be the last big trip we do with the kids so I want it to be a memorable one!

Help!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

You sound like our sort of active outdoor family and even our kids are the same age. Some awesome things to do and see in nz and my highlights to you would be snorkelling the poor knights islands ( we have snorkelled in bahamas, great barrier, new caledonia, samoa, cook islands and others and Poor Knights islands was just as good, but different), White island (cruise out and walk on an active volcano - see the sulphur pools and boiling water, steam and ruins of when people lived there), Canoe the whanganui river (guided over 3 days and stay at the bridge to nowhere lodge - we went with canoe safaris and it was awesome trip - remote, stunning, serene, rapids and spills), Hike Abel Tasman and/or Queen Charlotte Sound in the top of the south.

better still combine a hike/kayak and cruise. day kayak in cable bay, nelson with cable bay kayaks (amazing rocks, caves, colours and even seals). inflatable canoe the pelorus river with eco adventures pelorus. Do a day rafting trip on clarence river, stop at ohau waterfall and see the seals. Do a walk on the fox of franz glaciers. Go to Mt cook village and admire the mountains - do a glacier explorer boat trip on the tasman glacier lake with ice around. Walk the routeburn track. Kayak in milford sound. Do an overnight tour on doubtful sound wiith real journeys. enjoy the shotover jet in Queenstown. Bike the otago rail trail. soak in the thermal hot pools in hanmer, or rotorua or taupo. Walk the tongarriro crossing (regularly named as one of the top 10 day walks in the world). All the "great walks" are wonderful. In

auckland I would recommend kayaking to rangitoto island and walking to the top.

These arent in any order but an ideal of things your family may enjoy doing in Nz and give you some idea of what you may like to do in NZ. Of course, there are many others.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 20:18
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,290 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

One of the great things NZ offers an active family like yours is the network of DoC huts. You can buy a "Backcountry Hut Pass" valid for 6 months for around $92 (adult) & $46 (youth). Or you can pay $5/$2.50 pn. This pass is not available on the Great Walks huts, where huts cost $54 (adult) but are free for youth (<18).

You definitely should plan to walk one or more multi-night tramps.

Your problem is going to narrowing down the National Parks to visit. The Whanganui River is becoming increasingly popular for families to kayak. Tongariro has the "Mt Doom" connection.

Or you could cycle the Otago Rail Trail - numerous companies offer varying levels of support.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

With your style of travel you will be spoilt for choice in NZ! There are hundreds of great options - the problem will be narrowing it down. But since you live close you can come back later for more. :)

Camping can be a bit of a pain (unless you're with a company that provides gear) with travel and customs and so on. The backcountry huts are all over the place and are really good value, so I'd suggest planning on using those while tramping.

You've been given lots of good suggestions already. A couple of further ideas: if you get to the deep south, you could do a multi-day expedition-style cruise in Fiordland, eg https:/…

A mountaineering or ice-climbing course at Mt Cook might be something new for you to try: www.alpineguides.co.nz/programs/mec.htm

A multi-day rafting trip could also be good, eg www.hiddenvalleys.co.nz/multi-day2.html (West Coast rivers are good in summer as the West Coast has reliable rainfall all year.)

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

Thanks so much for your detailed replies. I will see what the family has to say.

Not sure where to start to organise the whole trip...ie hire car, accomadation, hikes and various multisport trips.

Any good local agents or best to just I book all my self?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,290 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

Get a good guide book (Lonely Planet?) & start reading!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

I have lonely planet and rough guide. working my way through both of them in my limited spare time between running two businesses, training for a marathon and keeping my family sane while my kids study for exams.

7. Re: 5 Weeks Active Trip with Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16